Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book Review of City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare




Goodreads Summary: "The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?
Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series."
Goodreads Rating: 4.32 average, with 144,000+ ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Young Adult, Fantasy/Paranormal, Romance, Paranormal/Vampires, Paranormal/Angels, Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository
My other reviews of Cassandra Clare's books: Clockwork PrincessClockwork PrinceClockwork Angel

Review:

Edited 11/24/2016
I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I love the Shadowhunter world, but I don't care for Clary and Jace that much. I had just finished watching The Mortal Instruments movie, which seemed off to me. I knew it had been a while since I had read the first books in the series, so I took this as an opportunity to reread the series. I ended up catching up and reading the City of Fire while I was at it.
My biggest problem with Jace and Clary is that they are so completely absorbed in one another. Their friends are willing to die for them, but Jace and Clary come across as really selfish. I honestly cheered when Jocelyn put Clary in her place and told her that she's not meant to be with Jace. I think I'm still creeped out by their sort of incestuous relationship. I know they're not brother and sister, but for a lot of the series, they thought they were. So, it's rather gross.
Despite my typical disdain for Clary, I was actually proud of Clary in this book. I felt like she finally grew up quite a bit and she's finally honing in on her skills. Hurray, she's not entirely worthless. This is the first book where I felt like she was the heroine and not just the damsel in distress.
I found myself being way more interested in what was going on with Simon, Isabel, Alec, and Magnus than Clary and Jace. Then again, I've been Team Simon since City of Bones. The relationships between these four characters are way more interesting than Clary and Jace. My dislike for Clary and Jace is easy enough to get past because of everything else in this book, and thus the five out five rating. Truthfully, I prefer the Infernal Devices series to the Mortal Instruments series.


Five out of Five Moons

2 comments:

  1. Apparently, there was a rallying cry amongst modern science-fiction-fantasy writers about a decade ago that all of them keep carrying on: INCEST IS BEST! Really, we need a little less of the sibling-on-sibling action. Blech.

    The shadowhunter world can pull you in. I really enjoyed The Mortal Instrument series; I'm on the wait list for the recently published City of Heavenly Fire.

    When I started reading the Clockwork books, I wasn't drawn in and gave up quickly with the first one. Then when I was painting the nursery prior to our baby's birth (me and my belly painting ceiling, walls, trim, and floors), I listened to the series. Not only did I love the characters and the story but truly enjoyed my first audio book.

    Actually, my first audio book was the Bible, Old Testament then New. But that's a different story for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one of the biggest complaints I hear about this series is the incest. It just bothers me, and to have it repeated in every single book is just ridiculous. Both times I've read it I've thought "GIVE UP ON JACE AND LOVE SIMON". Ugh sorry, I'm team Simon. I really can't stand Jace. Oh well. Iz is going to get her some Simon.
      I really need to read the Infernal Devices series. I read the first one, and maybe the second one (I can't remember). I'll get around to it eventually, but I really need a break from Shadowhunters. I have an unfinished witch series that seems to be calling my name, that I might have to dive back into.
      I've never really tried audio books. I remember in high school we had to listen to audio recordings of whatever we were reading in Lit class, and I'd fall asleep. I'm just not good at listening to stories.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!