Sunday, December 8, 2019

2020 Reading Challenge


It's here! It's here! It's finally here! Tress (find her blog here) and I have been brainstorming the 2020 challenge the last week or so and finally finalized it tonight. We've kept the same format as previous years, as well as the addition of free spaces. There's a handful of items that we've just felt are staples and have decided to include them every year.  I've split it up into tiers and  I'll give my thoughts on each tier and then do my overall thoughts. We tried to take into account suggestions as well.

If you'd like a PDF to use you can grab that here. As always, we don't really have any actual rules for this. The list is 60 prompts to try and read for the year. You can go level by level if you'd like or read at random. You certainly don't have to try and get all 60. Audiobooks are acceptable. I was completely blown away by the response to the 2019 challenge. It's my most viewed post by a landslide, and there were a ton of bloggers who joined us. Thank you so much for joining us, linking to the post, and giving your thoughts. Feel free to do the same this year. I absolutely love seeing what everyone picks for their categories.




1.) Read a book with a title that starts with a "W"
2.) A book you got for under $3
3.) A book with a blue cover
4.) Read a book by your favorite author
5.) A book with the word "Light" in the title
6.) A book that is set in the future
7.) A book from Project Gutenberg (https://www.gutenberg.org/)
8.) Read a book of short stories or a novella
9.) Read a book you've had on your "to be read" shelf for more than a year
10.) Read a book that takes place in winter
11.) Reread a book you have recommended to a friend
12.) Free Space- Pick any book!

Level 1 thoughts:  We always try to make level 1 pretty easy. It's a good motivator for moving on to the rest of the challenge. For those of you who are audio reads, I think Gutenberg has audiobooks as well as e-books. I'm already formulating what to read in this one. The favorite author might be difficult for me because I don't know that I've formally declared one.


13.) A book under 400 pages
14.) Read a book by Julie Garwood
15.) Read a classic fairy tale
16.) Read a retelling of the classic fairy tale
17.) Read a suspense or horror book
18.) A book you got for free (gift, found or book exchange)
19.) Read a book with a building on the cover
20.) Read a historical fiction from the World War II-era
21.) Read a book that was turned into a movie or tv show
22.) A book by an author named James/Jim or a variant
23.) Read a book recommended on your local library's website
24.) Free Space- Pick any book!

Level 2 thoughts: I feel like level 2 is going to be one of my favorites. I'm really excited about the linking of #16 and #17. There are some formats that we always try to use, but change ever so slightly. We also try to move them around on tiers if possible. I feel like the movie/tv show one is always a good one because there's a lot of crossovers.



25.) A book with the word "book" in the title
26.) Read an urban fantasy novel
27.) A book published in 2000
28.) A book recommended to you by a friend
29.) Read an author's debut novel
30.) Read a book from the BBC's list of Top 100 Books You Must Read Before You Die (here)
31.) Read a book that is over 600 pages
32.) Read a book by Isaac Asimov
33.) Read a book with the word 'Star' in the title
34.) Read a book about a historical figure (fiction or non-fiction)
35.) Read a book about an assassin
36.) Free Space- Pick any book!

Level 3 thoughts: This is about where I'm realizing that I didn't proofread the list before turning it into a PDF. Sorry. I'd fix it but I'm lazy. Tress has a different PDF version on her blog that's been checked. #26 is totally a spot so that Tress and I don't have to burn a Free Space, I think. Let's be honest, #31 will probably be my yearly read a book in the Outlander series.

37.) Book 1 of a Trilogy
38.) Book 2 of a Trilogy
39.) Book 3 of a Trilogy
40.) Read a book fro NPR's favorite books of 2019 (here)
41.) Read a novel by an author using a pseudonym
42.) Read a graphic novel
43.) A book with a season in the title
44.) Read a book with exactly four words in the title
45.) Read a book about a writer (real or fictional)
46.) Read a book with a title that rhymes
47.) A book by an author named Elizabeth/Beth or a variant
48.) Free Space- Pick any book!

Level 4 thoughts: I'm pretty excited about this level as well. There's a lot of books on the list for #40 that I've been wanting to read all year. 41 should be interesting.



49.) Read a motivational/inspirational book
50.) Read a book with two or more authors
51.) Read a book by John Creasey
52.) Read a book published in 1980
53.) Read a "rags to riches" story
54.) Read a book with an occupation in the title
55.) Read a book about travel or that involves travel
56.) A book that takes place in outer space/another planet
57.) Read a book that starts with the letter J
58.) Read a book that takes place in the Middle East or is inspired by Middle Eastern Culture
59.) Read a book about a video game or virtual reality
60.) Free Space- Pick any book!

Level 5/final thoughts- I've got a handful of things in mind for level 5. I still haven't decided if I'm going to go at this randomly or by level. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the challenge and I think it has some good staples as well as a variety. I hope everyone enjoys it!






55 comments:

  1. I'm in again!
    https://jannghi.blogspot.com/2019/12/linz-bookworm-2020-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you again! Anything on the list that you are especially excited for?

      Delete
    2. Now I've completed this year's challenge. Excited about next year!

      Delete
    3. Nice! I think you and my co-conspirator, Tress read a few books for the same categories. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm in!! I am getting back into reading, or at least that's the plan, so this is the perfect motivation tool!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! I hope this helps with the motivation. Feel free to update on how you're doing!

      Delete
  3. I'm in again for the third year. My first year I barely got one group completed, but I'm on track to complete the first three tiers for 2019 plus extras from Tier 4 & 5. Even if I don't complete a whole tier, I love how this challenge helps to direct me towards what to read next... which by the way was my favorite one for 2019 (Found a brand new author I'm now obsessed with!!) Consider using it again in the future?!

    Anyways, someday I may get around to creating a website or blog spot, til then though I'm using Google Docs and Goodreads to help me track.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jmcyej5OlvCSv2lZNgI_Y7FxMSx_htTpqVTdd1uY9tg/edit?usp=sharing
    https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/16943804-suzy?shelf=2020-book-challenge

    Thank you for Hosting again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! We'll definitely consider putting the 'What to read next' on in future years. We try to mix it up a bit, but definitely aren't above recycling previous categories. Glad you're enjoying the challenge!

      Delete
  4. im in. new member here. i will try my best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm joining in as well - my first time. Great challenge! Will post about it after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am joing as well! My first time next year 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone! I'm all for it, I'm new to this blog and doing a challenge like this, and I excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will give it a shot! I used to blog alot, but not so much anymore. I am going to be keeping track on a spreadsheet - If I can figure out how to link it to my blog, I will do that.
    Books and Needlepoint
    https://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm. Spreadsheets. Sorry, I'm a total spreadsheet nerd. Best of luck and welcome!

      Delete
  9. I just found your challenge on a master list and it's an interesting concept and different from the other challenges I'm doing, so I'm in. Don't know that I'll get all 60 done, but I'm looking forward to how I many I can do. I'll be tracking on my blog, Bookshelf Journeys and will link back to here. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel fancy knowing we're on a master list. That's exciting! Welcome aboard and best of luck. Tress and I have created this challenge for a few years now, and neither of us have hit all 60. I'm always amazed when someone tells me they get them all done.

      Delete
  10. This is my first year, and I’m excited to tackle the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us! Best of luck.

      Delete
    2. I did it! All 60 categories done! Will you do this again in 2021?

      Delete
    3. Way to go! That's really impressive. 2021 challenge can be found here: https://linzthebookworm.blogspot.com/2020/12/2021-reading-challenge.html?m=1

      Delete
  11. First time with this challenge and I've already started my first book for the year. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always a good start! I'm working on my first book as well. Best of luck!

      Delete
  12. I can't wait to participate! https://kt-recs.tumblr.com/post/189988262293/2020-reading-challenges

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never done a reading challenge like this before, but I'm very excited and will be teaming up with a friend to compare books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in! This is my first year participating but I'm excited to find books to fit these prompts. I think it will help get me out of the rut I've been in where I'm always readin the same genre. I'm going to sign up for 24 books...but hoping to stretch that to 36 if I can. Here's a link to where I'll be tracking my progress this year: https://www.traveltheworldinbooks.com/2020-reading-challenge/ Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck! I'm hoping I actually get all of my books on the challenge this year. I have a bad habit of finding some series on Kindle Unlimited that doesn't fit and binge-reading it.

      Delete
  15. I am in again for year number 2!
    http://frominktopaper.com/2020/01/04/2019-book-reading-challenges/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in and looking forward to it!
    http://www.theupstairslibrary.com/2020-reading-challenges-as-if-i-need-any-more-challenges-in-my-life-haha/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am cracking up at you link title. Love it! Best of luck.

      Delete
  17. Count me in as well :)
    https://trestiacititoare.wordpress.com/2020/01/04/2020-leveled-challenge-by-linz-the-bookworm-7/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm doing it.I'm excited about this challenge.Are we supposed to sign up somewhere for it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! You don't have to. A lot of bloggers who are doing their challenge leave their links. Up to you.

      Delete
  19. I am coming in kinda late but have added your list of challenges to the many others I do. Seems like good fun. Only a couple that I am not so sure about (the author specific ones) but will give it my best shot :)
    I will keep track in Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/67057446?shelf=2020-linz-bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining! I hope you don't mind, but I sent a friend request on Goodreads. Best of luck with all of your challenges!

      Delete
  20. I know I am joining late myself. This will be challenging in some areas but it seems fun. I will keep an update on my BookTube and on my Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in! Definitely late, but I think I can still get through a few levels :) I'm on wordpress at thebookdragondotblog.wordpress.com and I'll link to your blog from there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the party! There's a good chance you'll get more levels in than I do. I am a slowpoke this year.

      Delete
  22. I'm in, late to the game but pretty sure that I've already got some books that fit into these categories!!

    I'm over at: https://parchmentpages.co.uk/2020-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you already have some books to fit in categories! Best of luck :)

      Delete
  23. I've so enjoyed this challenge this year! About a month left in 2020 and I've read 29.5 of the books on the list. I'm still impressed with my progress. Will you create a new challenge for 2021? I hope so!

    -Alison in Chicago, IL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've enjoyed it, Alison! That's pretty good progress.

      It's funny that you ask about 2021, today of all days. Tress and I are actually going through our ideas we've had throughout the year and working on it as I write this! Stay tuned. We usually release it around Christmas.

      Delete
  24. We just launched 2021's challenge. Be sure to check it out, we'd love to have you join us again. http://linzthebookworm.blogspot.com/2020/12/2021-reading-challenge.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was my first year doing this challenge. It was fun. I read three tiers and was one book away from four tiers. I'll do better next year. Thank you for creating these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty awesome. Thanks for joining in. I hope you enjoy this year's as well.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!