Saturday, December 2, 2017

Book Review of One Tequila by Tricia O'Malley

Goodreads Summary: Tequila Key is just like any other small town, and I'm just like any other small town psychic. Scratch that. Tequila Key is a world onto itself, and some people might think that I am one crayon short of the box.
And, if we're totally honest, Tequila Key is just like any other small town – if that town boasts a voodoo priestess and a few white witches for flavor. Turquoise blue water and the best margaritas this side of Mexico make it hard to leave.

I'm Althea Rose, co-owner of Luna Rose Potions & Tarot Shop, and I've just stumbled into a love triangle while trying to save my best friend from being accused of murder.

See? Just like any other small town.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars with just over 800 ratings

Genre Listing: Mystery, Paranormal, Cozy Mystery

Get the book: AmazonBook Depository

Reading Challenge: #3 A free book on Amazon

Review:

I really wanted to like One Tequila. It started out well enough with two best friends running a shop together, one Psychic and one a Witch, with a mutual best friend as a bar owner. Unfortunately, One Tequila by Tricia O'Malley fell incredibly short for me.

The plot of this story was so predictable, and I feel like it's one I've read a thousand times already. I'm going to ruin it for you, and I'm sorry for that. Basically, you have the main character who has some random flaw that she thinks makes her undesirable, especially when compared to her perfect best friend. A newcomer comes into town and with them a mystery! They're apparently one of the suspects, but the main character refuses to accept it because they are so pretty, a fact the reader is not allowed to forget because it's mentioned on just about every page. A friend admits feelings for the main character and gets jealous of the pretty newcomer. Nevermind that the friend and main character have a genuine connection that makes you wan to root for them because the main character is too busy fawning over Mr. Out of her league Gorgeous Mc Gorgeous murder suspect. There's also going to only be one murder suspect and 20 pages from the end of the book it'll be announced that it was someone else for total shock and aw, that makes no sense within the plot. The end. There, that's the plot of One Tequila. I saved you a couple of hours. 

I didn't really get the feeling that Thea was even remotely psychic. When I think of psychic, I think being able to tell the future and what not. Which admittedly, she did do this once. I felt based on the description of her gifts she was more telepathic than anything. I know this is probably splitting hairs, but I would have liked more examples of her powers. 

Despite all of the annoyances I've mentioned, there was some good. I liked the friendship between Thea and Trace. I was definitely rooting for them instead of Thea and what's his face. Seriously I can't even remember the character's name. He left no impression on me and had absolutely no depth. Oh right, talking about the good. Sorry. So yeah, I appreciated the relationship between Thea and Trace. I liked the imagery O'Malley created while they were diving. Given the way the dives were described, I would guess it's something that O'Malley enjoys as well. There was a definite love of the beach and water present. It's also a light and quick read. It's pretty tame as far as books go. Not really gory and not smutty as far as the romances go. It's just under 300 pages, and I think I read it in a night.  The good just didn't outweigh the bad for me, unfortunately. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!