Thursday, January 19, 2017

Book Review of The Immortal Circus Act 2 by A.R. Kahler

Goodreads Summary:  Vivienne is almost content with her new life in the Cirque des Immortels. She has moved up from selling cotton candy to telling fortunes, she has a gorgeous, magical boyfriend, Kingston…and no one has been murdered since the clash between the otherworldly Courts. Her life under the faerie big top would be perfect, in fact, if not for the nightmares and visions that compel her to seek and confront her half-remembered past. But for Viv, not knowing her past may well be a blessing. There's a reason she ran away. But can she truly escape herself?.
The second act of the fantastically evocative Cirque des Immortels series, The Immortal Circus: Act Two draws readers further into a world that’s at once wonderful, seductive…and deadly.

Step right up…

Goodreads Rating: 3.8 with over 2,600 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Fiction, Paranormal
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository
Book Challenge#2 a Book in a Series you've yet to finish
Review on other book(s) in the series: Act 1

Book Review:

I'm really surprised at how quickly I devoured Act Two up. I wasn't completely sold on the first book, but the end made me want to continue reading the series. I decided to pick the second book up a couple of days ago, and I'm really glad that it did.

Act Two kicks off shortly (if not right after) Act One left off. I liked that there wasn't an awkward catch-up phase like there is with some sequels. It addressed what was needed from the first book, but didn't completely rehash it to where it took up half the book.

I think that my biggest problems with the first book were resolved with this book. Essentially all of Vivienne's questions from the first book about who she is and what her powers are have been answered in this book. Of course, that raises new questions entirely on how she's going to deal with what she knows.

I kind of think that Kingston's role in everything was obvious. I felt in the first book like he probably already knew everything about Vivienne that she didn't know about herself, and while I didn't picture exactly how he was involved his knowledge level was what I expected. 

The sequence of events really took me by surprise in this book. I didn't expect this much action or information. It was fast paced, and it has me excited for the third book. I'll be honest, I was completely caught off guard by some of what happened.

Thankfully, there seemed to be less "OMG! Kingston is soo hot!" in this. It was there, but it didn't feel like it was in every single paragraph. Act 2 seemed to focus a lot more on the story and what was going on. I think some of what was revealed in this book actually made why she was so swoony over him in book one make sense.

I'll probably start the 3rd book here in a few minutes. Overall I really liked it, and now I have to see the series to an end.






Blog News:


There's going to be some new features coming very soon!  Some of the new features will be

  • Books of the Month - At the end of each book I'm going to post two books of the month. One that I've already read, likely my favorite book that month, and the second will be one I plan to read in the next month. I'd really like for the second one to be a book club sort of thing, so please feel free to join me in reading them!
  • I will also be doing monthly updates of my reading challenge!

    These features have been suggested by my friend Tori! If you'd like to get updates, join in on discussions or suggest features please like my facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!