Sunday, July 3, 2016

Book Review: Thorns of Decision by Breeana Putroff

Goodreads Summary: Quinn Robbins was prepared for her mother to be angry. After all, she'd disappeared for two days without warning; to visit the world on the other side of the Dusk Gate that nobody else knows exists.
What she wasn't prepared for was seeing her mother calmly sitting there, waiting for her return, as if Megan Robbins somehow knew the secret, too.
And she really wasn't prepared to have her mother not speaking to her, not sharing whatever she knows.

Now, with her mother not talking, her best friend mad at her for disappearing, and her boyfriend, Zander, suspicious and confused, Quinn is left with only one person to turn to.

William Rose had told Quinn she was making a mistake; that lying to her family and friends and risking everything to visit his family in a world where she didn't belong was only going to lead to heartache.

But that was before - before she'd dropped everything to be there for him when he needed her. Before her strange dreams and her special brand of persistence had helped rescue his brother. Before the kiss that Quinn and William aren't talking about.

And before he discovered that everything he ever thought he knew was wrong.

Now, they're on the verge of discovering a secret about their pasts that may just change everything about their futures, and Quinn and William are both about to find themselves deciding between who they always thought they were, and who they're meant to be.

And they just might be making some of those decisions together.
Goodreads Rating: 4.32 stars with over 800 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Adventure
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository
Previous reviews for the series: Seeds of Discovery Roots of Insight

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

I think it's safe to say that I'm devouring this series at this point, which is pretty easy to do since each of the books have so far only been ~300 pages. I started Thorns of Decision last night after I posted about Roots of Insight. Read it most of the evening until I was too tired to read anymore, and then woke up and started in on it again. This series is so good.

I'm not going to lie this book made me giddy. At one time I probably made audible squeals of delight. Okay, maybe more than one time. The book went exactly where I wanted it to go, and while usually, I'd throw in some line about not being surprised, I was still a little surprised to be right. *Spoiler Alert* I'm not usually a fan of sappy romances, but I'm finding Quinn and William's relationship adorable.

I think that Linnea is becoming one of my favorite characters in the book. I'm enjoying her need to say whatever she's thinking and nudging where pushes are required. I just want her to have an adventure. I believe that they all might be coming into quite the adventure, though.

One thing that I like about this series is that Breeana Putroff isn't afraid to let her characters make mistakes and admit them. A large part of this book, King Stephen admits some mistakes he's made in the past. I like that exchange between him and Quinn. It made him seem more like a real person. The characteristics of the royal family are a nice change of pace. They genuinely seem like nice, caring people. I feel like a lot of books about royalty make them seem selfish and arrogant. It's nice to read a book where it has these nice people just trying to make the world better.

I think that Quinn is becoming a great main character. I like her attitude of just jumping in and doing things. I believe it is interesting though how when it comes to things that are involving other people she just has the courage to do what needs to be done, but then when it comes to her decisions she switches back to an emotional teenager. I think in other books I'd be annoyed by this, but in this one, it works because it helps to show the severity of her decisions and how much this is to take in for her.

There were a couple of little things that annoyed me about this book. They're minor, but at the time it was annoying.  I don't felt like editorially this book was as polished as it could have been. There were a couple of places where there were obviously names mixed up. In one scene there was an exchange between Linnea and William. However, where it should have said Linnea it said, Quinn. This made it read like Quinn and William were siblings. I had to read it over a couple of times because I was just so confused. I finally realized it seemed to be an error and should have said, Linnea. There was another incident like this as well, where there were some names confused.  I'm still going to give it five stars, but I would have liked to see a more polished version of this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!