Saturday, April 24, 2021

2021 Reading Challenge Update January through April

 


Good morning, Readers! I realized last night when I was writing my review of Blood Rites by Jim Butcher that I haven't done an update for where I'm at on the 2021 Reading Challenge yet. I figured today would be a good day to do that since I've actually gotten some books read! It may also temporarily distract me from my apartment complex's small herd of horses and elephants who are currently running up and down the stairs that I share a wall with. Isn't apartment living grand?

Anyways, thus far in the year, I've read eleven books. I'm four books behind to meet my goal of fifty books in the year. Last year I set myself up for failure by going for sixty. I usually can get close to fifty, so we'll see how it goes. Overall, I feel pretty good with where I'm at given I haven't used any of my free spaces yet and I burned through a ton of large Outlander books. Huzzah for totally avoiding writing papers for grad school. (Writing some is on the agenda today after I write this post. Priorities, obviously.)

Currently, I'm reading Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. I'm only about thirty pages in, but so far I'm enjoying it. Mor on that once I finish the book, though. I'm not really close to finishing a tier yet. I've been kind of jumping around haphazardly, though I am trying to get as much on Tier one as I can.

Before I get into what I've read, if you want to find the original challenge post you can do so here. Tress, my co-conspirator has a PDF that you can use as well which can be found here. If you want to learn how this challenge came to be you can find that here. Now on to books.

Level 1: Book of the Month Club:

1.) Read a book obtained from Kindle Unlimited, Audible, Amazon First Reads, Paperback Swap, or the Library Spellbreaker by Charlie N. Holmberg

2.) Read a book under 400 pages The Palace of Lost Memories by C.J. Archer

3.) Reread a book that makes you happy Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers (Link to original review, did not do a secondary review on it)

4.) Read a stand-alone novel (not in a series)

5.) Read a book that starts with the letter D

6.) Read a book that was recommended to you

7.) Read a book with the color white on the cover A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

8.) Read a book where the main character is a High School or College Student

9.) Read a book by an author named Michael/Mike/Michelle or variant

10.) Read a book that's been turned into a TV series or a Movie

11.) Read a book with exactly two words in the title Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

12.) Free Space! Pick any book!

Level 2: Casual Reader Club:

13.) A book from https://www.whatshouldireadnext.com

14.) Read a Murder Mystery

15.) Read the first book in a series you've wanted to start Everlost by Neal Schusterman

16.) Read a book that has a person on the cover Everwild by Neal Shusterman (Review combined with the review for Everfound)

17.) Read a book where the main character's occupation is a chef or baker

18.) Read a book by an author born in the 20th Century (1901-2000) An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

19.) Read a book with a form of royalty in the title (Queen, King, Prince, Princess, etc.)

20.) Read a book you meant to read on last year's challenge

21.) Read a book by Barbara Cartland

22.) Read a book that takes place in Spring

23.) Read a book with the word Human/Person/People in the title

24.) Free space! Pick any book!

Level 3: Dedicated Reader Club:

25.) Read a book by a Self Published author

26.) Read a book for under $5

27. Read a book from https://time.com/collection/100-best-fantasy-books/

28.) Read a book published in the 2010s The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

29.) Read a book from your favorite genre Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon

30.) Read a book that has had at least three different covers

31.) Read a book that takes place in Europe

32.) Read a book by an author with the same first name as one of your grandparents

33.) Read a book where the main character is a magic-user

34.) Read a book with a time of day in the title (Morning, Noon, Evening, Dusk, Dawn, etc.)

35.) Read a book by an author of a different ethnicity than you

36.) Free Space! Pick any book!

Level 4: Speed Reader Club:

37.) Read the next book in a series you've started Everfound by Neal Shusterman (Combined review with Everwild)

38.) Read a book with an orange cover

39.) Read a book over 600 pages

40.) Read a book that uses the "Chosen One" trope

41.) Read a book where the main character is elderly

42.) Read a book with the letter V in the title or author's name

43.) Read a Science Fiction

44.) Read a book that starts with the letter P

45.) Read a book with a bird on the cover

46.) Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) about a lady on this list: https://www.historyextra.com/100-women/100-women-results/

47.) Read a book with the main character of a different ethnicity than you

48.) Free space! Pick any book!

Level 5: Overachiever Club:

49.) Read a book with an interesting cover font

50.) Read a book about orphans

51.) Read a book with the word "wind" in the title

52.) Read a book by John Irving

53.) Read a book that was published with you were eleven

54.) Read a book that takes place in the 1960s

55.) Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) about a topic that's always interested you, but you haven't read about it yet

56.) Read a nonfiction book that teaches you a new skill

57.) Read a book without a picture on the cover

58.) Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) involving mental illness

59.) Read a book that has had unfavorable reviews, but you're still curious about

60.) Free space! Pick any book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!