Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Book Review A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

 

Goodreads Summary: This sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time. A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.
The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife, Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence—with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.
Goodreads Rating: 4.42 stars with over 144,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Historical Fiction, Romance, Time Travel, Fantasy
Goodreads Challenge: 4/50
2021 Reading Challenge: #7 a book with the color white on the cover (Find the full challenge here)

Book Review:

Hi Readers, and Happy Valentine's day if you celebrate. The husband and I don't really celebrate since our Anniversary is in April. We did have a virtual game night with some friends, though, which is always fun. I also avoided my project for my communication class. 

So, I have problems. These problems are called staying up way too damn late to read. I finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes really late. I think it was around 5 am, but I couldn't just go to sleep with the way it ended. So, as soon as I finished it, I  picked up An Echo in the Bone and read a couple chapters of it. 

Outlander is hands-down one of my favorite series. I love the historical fiction aspect of it and the time travel. There's always a lot of twists and turns to keep it interesting. I had many theories about things that were going to happen in this book, and I was completely wrong. I don't want to go into too many details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. Fraser's Ridge is a happening place out in the backwoods. 

I really like that there was a little bit of background story from Ian's time with the Mowhawk and why he was so quiet about whatever happened to him. It was really heartbreaking, but I liked how it was told and how it was pieced together. There was also a really interesting plotline with Phaedre (Spelling?) that I wasn't expecting. I'm really curious to see what happens to her. I feel like in previous books, she was mentioned and present, but more background. In Breath of Snow and Ashes, it seemed like she took a more prominent role in the plot. 

A lot of character plots get wrapped up or at least seem to. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but it felt like a very definitive end in some regards. The constant theme was foreshadowing and dread leading up to the night of the fire mentioned in the news article Roger, and Brianna found. It definitely didn't feel like the end of the story, but it was a definite close to a chapter. 

I just want to throw it in here that Stephen Bonnet remains the vilest awful villain in the history of books that I can think of. I thought the Earl in Pillars of the Earth might be worse, but no. It's Stephen Bonnet. The rest of this thought is currently be redacted because of spoilers. 

There were more nuggets in regards to time travel, and I want more. They ran into others like them, and I'm just so curious to see what else happens with Time travel. 

I had more thoughts on A Breath of Snow and Ashes, but it's taken me like two days to write this blog post. My obsession with the series continues because I love the characters, I love the drama, and I love that the history is gritty and feels real. I feel like it's really well researched, and I always want to keep reading. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!