Friday, April 10, 2020

Book Review: Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Goodreads Summary: Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for:
A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards...

Professional hit men using Harry for target practice...

The missing Shroud of Turin...

A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified...

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semi-vampiric nature. And who seems to have a new man in her life.

Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.
Goodreads Rating: 4.31 stars with over 109,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Fiction, Mystery, Paranormal
Previous Reviews on the series: Fool MoonGrave PerilStorm FrontSummer Knight
Goodreads Challenge: 13/60
2020 Reading Challenge: #26 Read an Urban Fantasy Novel (find the full challenge here)

Book Review:

Ever since Tress and I put "Urban Fantasy" on the list, I've been needing a Dresden File fix. I finally broke down and bought Death Masks. After how long it took me to read Good Omens, I really needed something I knew I would enjoy. Dresden Files is always a good pick me up, and they read fast too.

I was able to get into Death Masks pretty quickly, which is always helpful with this series. I take so long to read the next book that sometimes I don't remember what happened. Being able to get back into it quickly makes the series easier to enjoy. Jim Butcher does a really good job of giving a recap and not bogging down the story. They're always a quick read, which I appreciate.

I feel like there was not enough Murphy in Death Masks. She makes an appearance but wasn't as big of a character as she has been in the past. Even though Murphy isn't super involved, other fun characters show up. Susan is back in Death Masks, as is Ebenezer, Bob, and Thomas. Bob is probably my favorite secondary character in the series. I felt like there was a lot of set up for future interactions with Marcone, especially towards the end of Death Masks. I think that he's probably going to be a main fixture as the series continues. There's also a new character called The Archive.

The Archive was an interesting character for me, and I'd love for her to make an appearance in later books or somehow get her own book.  She reminds me a little bit of the Red Queen from the Resident Evil movie.

I don't really feel like the magic really evolved or was super present in Death Masks. There was some, but it felt a little forgotten in this book. Most of the story seemed more centered around the conclusion of his relationship with Susan. There wasn't much to do with his private practice or the SI. I still enjoyed the book a great deal, but it more felt more like a middle book setting up for something bigger. I also acknowledge that I was about half asleep when I finished this. It was really late, so I could have missed something important.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!