Thursday, September 15, 2016

Book Review: The Coveted by Laura Thalassa

Goodreads Summary:  “In places that know more about heaven and hell than we do, you have a reputation, Gabrielle. To them you are known as the devil’s consort.”
When a body shows up near Peel Academy, all signs indicate the killer is a vampire. Ravaged throat, body drained of blood. At least that’s all it appears to be when the Politia, the supernatural police force, assigns Gabrielle to the case. Now it’s Gabrielle’s job to figure out who did it.

But after a second body turns up with the same lethal wounds, it’s clear that a serial killer is stalking the island. The murders have compromised the truce between the Politia and vampires, and as long as the killer roams free, it is in danger of dissolving. If that happens, no vampire is safe from persecution, not even Gabrielle.

Now Gabrielle must team up with Andre, her soulmate and the one person she’s tried to stay away from, to investigate the murders before the truce dissolves. And keeping her distance is proving to be impossible.

But Gabrielle has a bigger problem. The world of the dead know about her, and their whispers hint that something is coming for her. And it’s coming soon.
Goodreads Rating: 4.03 Stars with over 1500 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Vampires, Romance, Young Adult, Demons, Witches, Shapeshifters
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository
Previous Reviews on the series: The Unearthly

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

I'm going to be addicted to this series. I can already feel it happening. The first book in the series I kind of hated myself for liking it so much. It was cheesy, and the main love interest was totally controlling. The Coveted still had a lot of those aspects, but I feel like there was a lot more character depth in it. There is still a lot of "Omg, Andre's so sexy" taking up space, but I didn't feel like it was as frequent as it was in The Unearthly.  I felt like Andre was less of a controlling jackass in this book. He was still controlling, but it wasn't as frequent, and he showed  a lot of concern for Gabrielle.

Oliver was way less annoying this book than he was in Unearthly, which was nice. I was glad to see that Leeanne ends up playing a huge part in this book. It just doesn't seem like it until the end of it. There's quite a bit of mystery in this book, which I enjoyed. Some of it was easy to predict, some of it wasn't. It kept me interested, and I didn't want to put it down. There's also some new supernatural beings that are introduced in this one. I felt that Gabrielle stood up for herself in this one. I think she could end up being a really strong character throughout the series. I got the feeling that Gabrielle was growing and coming to terms with her powers.  I enjoyed that in a lot of ways she saved herself and her friends, but her friends also saved her. It wasn't one way or the other.

I will say, this series is getting dark. A lot of the situations in this one were creepy, which surprised me, given that I felt the first book was somewhat cheesy. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the series has in store. I'm hoping it goes the route that she stays with the Politia. I think that Gabrielle makes a good cop, and the supernatural murder mystery aspect is fascinating.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!