Saturday, October 17, 2020

Book Review: Suddenly Psychic by Elizabeth Hunter

 


Goodreads Summary: 
Every woman goes through changes in their forties.Just not… these changes.

Robin Brannon was a normal wife, mom, and antique shop owner until a brush with death turned her day-to-day life upside down. Now she and her two best friends are seeing things that belong in a fantasy novel. Ghosts. Visions. Omens of doom. Nothing that belongs in the peaceful mountain town they call home.

Added to that, Robin’s marriage is on the rocks, her grandmother’s health is failing, her mother is driving away the customers at her shop, her teenage daughter refuses to get her drivers’ license, and her left knee aches every darn morning.

Robin doesn’t have the time, energy, or knees to unearth the secrets buried at the bottom of Glimmer Lake, but fate doesn’t seem to care. Some secrets are just dying to be exposed.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars with over 6,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Paranormal, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy, Ghosts, Romance, Contemporary, Cozy Mystery

Goodreads Challenge: 39/60 (I'm picking up steam!)
2020 Reading Challenge: #47 A book by an author named Elizabeth/Beth or a variant (find the full challenge here)

Book Review:

Happy Saturday, Readers! I am SO glad it is finally the weekend. Finding something for the Elizabeth/Beth variant was surprisingly tricky. I really expected to see a ton of books to fit in this category, but it took me a while to not only find one but find one that grabbed my interest. I had picked up a few and just could not get into them. However, when I found Suddenly Psychic, I thought it seemed like a cute story idea and gave it a shot. 

Suddenly Psychic is a shorter read- around 300 pages and was really easy to get into. I instantly liked Robin, and even though I'm not a mother or in my 40s, I found her relatable and funny. I liked how she, Monica, and Val were all different personalities but were still really close. They each had their own voice, and I felt like it was easy to distinguish who was who. 

I felt like there was a surprising amount of Ghosts in Suddenly Psychic, which was refreshing. I feel like some books just limit the ghost interaction to weird noises, or feelings, or whatever. Suddenly Psychic had several ghosts, and most had some kind of background story or interaction with Robin. I loved the way she was able to conjure them. I thought it was different and really interesting. Some of the interactions were actually mildly creepy, which I thought was great. 

There was a bit of mystery in Suddenly Psychic. I thought it was a little predictable, but I honestly didn't mind that much. It made sense for the story, and I don't know that every mystery needs to be an absolute rollercoaster of who committed the crime. The presented information seemed logical for the characters and added up to the build-up with the final ghost. Boss Ghost? 

Buried underneath all of the Ghosts and psychic powers (heh, pun intended), there's a terrific story about a group of women feeling lost and not sure who they are going through the process to find themselves. Robin is often found reciting, "Is this my life?" negatively during the beginning of the story. However, after everything she goes through, it becomes "I can't believe this is my life," but with a positive spin on it. 

I really loved this book, and I can't wait to read more in the Glimmer Lake series. I think the next book follows Val, who was a lot of fun in this book. Suddenly Psychic is a quick read that stays light-hearted and funny even during some darker times of the story. The characters are relatable and entertaining. I stayed interested through the entire book and didn't want to put it down. Plus, there are ghosts!















1 comment:

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!