Saturday, June 16, 2018

Book Review of Grave Peril by Jim Butcher


Goodreads Summary: In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Goodreads Rating:
4.18 stars with over 114,000

Genre Listing:
Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Fiction, Paranormal, Magic

Get the Book: Amazon, Book Depository

Previous reviews on the series: Storm Front, Fool Moon

Goodreads Challenge:
13/30

Reading Challenge: #47 A book with a male main character, 2018 reading challenge can be found here.

Book Review:

I'm really starting to love this series. Jim Butcher wastes no time getting right into the action. Grave Peril picks up shortly after Fool Moon left off. It does a pretty good job of catching the reader up quickly, without bogging the story down with what already happened. It also goes into a bit more of Harry's backstory and introduces some new characters, that from my understanding are going to be reoccurring characters.

Grave Peril mostly focuses on the Vampire sects within Harry's world. I like how Butcher gave each group their own focus like he did with the Weres in Fool Moon. In Grave Peril, it addresses three groups of Vampires The Red, White, and Black. Each one has their own thing that gives them power. I think small details like this is what is getting me more and more hooked on this series.

In this book, Jim Butcher introduces us to Lea. Harry's Godmother, who is hella creepy. I'm assuming that she's going to come up quite a bit in future books, and with her is going to come a lot more backstory. If that's the case, I'm really excited to read these books. I still have so many questions about Harry's past that I think this would help answer.

I really enjoyed the inclusion of Michael and Charity. I thought Michael was an interesting contrast to Harry. The way that Charity goes off on Harry cracks me up. I'd really love to get some backstory on Michael and Charity. I'm curious to know how one becomes a Knight in Dresden's world. Also, THERE"S A FREAKING DRAGON. I seriously love the details that Butcher puts into his stories.

Susan gets herself into quite a bit of trouble in Grave Peril. I can't really say that I was surprised by it. I was warming up to her and Harry's relationship, but I really felt that she's been using him for the stories he could give her access to. With what happens in Grave Peril, I won't say she had it coming, but she definitely didn't do herself any favors.

I do wish this book would have had Karrin in it more. I understand why it didn't, but I enjoy the back and forth between her and Harry. There's always a lot of tension between the two of them, and I find it interesting. I'm really curious to know where the story goes next. For whatever reason, while I was reading this, it made me think of Kim Harrison's The Hollows series that I needed to finish. So instead of doing the smart thing and completing the other two books, I have in progress, I'm now reading another Paranormal series. I have issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!