Thursday, August 13, 2015

Book Review of The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison


Goodreads Summary: When you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line...
In the Hollows, where the natural and the supernatural co-exist - not always peacefully - desperate times often call for unorthodox measures. But bounty hunter-witch Rachel Morgan did the absolutely unthinkable to save the lives of her friends: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins have come home to haunt her.

As Rachel hunts for the truth behind a terrifying murder, the discovery of a shocking family secret is about to throw her entire life into question. And the long-lost ancient knowledge she seeks resides in the demonic ever-after. But there are some lines that should never be crossed--like the one Rachel Morgan's stepping over...again!

Goodreads Rating: 4.38 stars with over 41,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Vampires, Paranormal, Witches, Demon, Supernatural, Fiction, Romance
Get the book: AmazonBook Depository
My other reviews of Kim Harrison's books: White Witch, Black CurseFor A Few Demons MoreBlack Magic Sanction

Review: 

Edited 12/1/2016
I'm going to try to do this without spoilers, but I make no promises. The Outlaw Demon Wails is going to be a hard book to discuss without spoilers. Wish me luck, I guess!
I thought that  The Outlaw Demon Wails took a predictable turn in a lot of ways. I had a pretty good guess as to how it was going to go with Al and Rachel from the previous book. I'm not disappointed it went that route, just not surprised. In fact, I was kind of hoping it'd come to this, so it makes me very excited to read the next book.
I'm ... confused... I guess by the "big family secret" in this book. I suppose this is where I need to go back and reread the earlier books because I was under the impression that the person it involves was a Vampire and not a witch. Maybe that's just my lack of reading comprehension skills, but it just threw me off and not necessarily in a good way. I was mostly thinking "Wait... what?" during that whole ordeal.
I would have liked to see more of Marshall. He seemed sweet. Maybe he'll be in the next book, but I'm not counting on it. Rachel's relationship with Trent is just odd. They hate each other; their dads were best friends, they frequently try to screw each other over but then end up working together in some fashion. I get the weird feeling there's going to be some dysfunctional romantic relationship there in the future.
I like the new addition of Bis. I hope he sticks around. I like little side characters like that.
I mostly feel that this was just a segue novel to bigger things. It didn't have a whole lot of action, just a bunch of plot twists. I enjoyed it, and it has me in complete anticipation for the next book. I imagine that the 7th book is going to be a thriller given all the information provided in The Outlaw Demon Wails.


1 comment:

  1. Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! Here's my post: http://ageekwithbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!