Friday, August 7, 2015

Book Review of For A Few Demons More by Kim Harrison


Goodreads Summary: Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has always managed to stay just ahead of trouble...until now.
A fiendish serial killer stalks the Hollows, and no one living in or around Cincinnati - human, inhuman, or undead - is safe.

An ancient artifact may be the key to stopping the murderer - a mysterious relic that is now in the hands of Rachel Morgan, fearless, independent bounty hunter, and reckless witch. But revealing it could ignite a battle to the death among the vast and varied local supernatural races.

Rachel's been lucky so far.
But even she can't hide from catastrophe forever.

Goodreads Rating: 4.3 stars with over 42,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Vampires, Witches, Fiction, Magic, Demons, Romance, Supernatural
Get the book: AmazonBook Depository
My other reviews of Kim Harrison's books: Outlaw Demon WailsWhite Witch, Black CurseBlack Magic Sanction

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016
The Hollows is one of my favorite series. I've been reading it for a few years now. That being said, it is not a series I can binge read, hence why I've been reading it for years and just finished book five. I love Rachel as a character. She's so incredibly flawed, but not in a way that seems unrealistic.  I think that Kim Harrison has created a brilliant world with so many details. I  think my favorite thing about the story is the details about the magic. It's very obvious that a lot of thought went into it and everything just seems right.
In the series, there's a definite progression for Rachel and her friends in each book. At the beginning of the series, Rachel's a very straight-laced character and doesn't stray far from her black and white ideas of what's right or wrong. In For A Few Demons More, she is forced to redefine her views, which leads to a whole lot of Demon-Dabbling (Ugh, Spoiler. Sorry.)  It's got me interested to see where this takes her in the next book. I might read the next book in the series sooner than I usually would!
It's been a while since I've read the other books in the series, but I don't feel like this had as much action as the other books did. There were action parts, but they seem to spring up out of nowhere. The downside to taking so long to read these books is I often forget what happened in the previous books. The Hollows is not a series to be read out of order. There's very little catch-up in these books, which is honestly fine by me. Too much rehashing of previous books can be daunting.
I felt that Ivy's presence was a little lacking in this book. I get why it had to be that way, but still. I like Ivy. She's one of my faves. I'm hoping she'll be around more in the next book. This book also leads me to believe my heart is going to break over Jenks' family soon. :( I love those little pixies.
I was wondering why Kisten wasn't in the first part of the book much. I think it had taken a few chapters before he showed up. Given what happens to him at the end and the way it happens, I feel like Harrison was just tired of writing him and needed him to be out of the scene. I hope that means there's going to be a new love interest in the sixth book, but we shall see. I'm kind of okay with this mostly. He seemed cheesy to me, and I wasn't ever a massive Kisten fan.
I am, however, a Ceri fan. That Elf is a certifiable badass. She is probably my favorite character in the series, and I would *LOVE* for there to be a series about her, maybe in her days as Al's familiar. PLEASE make this happen. Would read.
I had been wanting to read this book for like a year but had to wait until my belongings were out of storage. It was worth the wait. For A Few Demons, More had all of the humor, magic, and shenanigans that I've come to love in this series. Excited to read the next book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!