Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Book Review: A Killer's Mind by Mike Omer

 


Goodreads Summary: The New York Times and Washington Post bestselling serial-killer thriller that will leave you wondering, is the past really in the past?
Three Chicago women have been found strangled, embalmed, and posed as if still alive. Doubting the findings of the local PD's profiler, The FBI calls on forensic psychologist Zoe Bentley to investigate.

Zoe quickly gets off on the wrong foot with her new partner, Special Agent Tatum Gray. Zoe's a hunter, intense and focused; Tatum's a smug maverick with little respect for the rules. Together, they must descend into a serial killer's psyche and untangle his twisted fantasies, or more women will die. But when the contents of three inconspicuous envelopes reveal a chilling connection to gruesome murders from Zoe's childhood, suddenly the hunter becomes the hunted.
Goodreads Rating: 4.20 stars with over 55,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Mystery, Thriller Fiction, Crime, Suspense, Detective
Goodreads Challenge: 7/60 
2024 Reading Challenge: #8 Read a book that's been on your "shelf" for over a year (see the entire challenge here)


Review: 

Hello Readers! I hope everyone is doing well. I've been traveling for the last few days, visiting a friend. I got to experience two new states that I had never been to, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Airports and flights are perfect for finishing books. Last night, while on the plane, I finished A Killer's Mind by Mike Omer. 

I don't read thrillers often, and I'm not sure why. I tend to forget they exist since I usually just read Historical Fiction and Fantasy. Picking up A Killer's Mind by Mike Omer was an excellent reminder to read this genre more often. I enjoyed how the story bounced between Zoe and Tatum's investigation, Zoe's past, which prompted her interest in profiling, and the serial killer's perspective. It gave a well-rounded view of all the factors that contributed to the events in the book. It also gave a good distraction from who the killer really was. 

I wouldn't say I was blown away by the book, but it was good and a quick read. I'm intrigued enough that if I see the other books for a reasonable price on Kindle, I might pick them up. I did like how it read a bit like an episode of Criminal Minds. Character-wise, it took me a while to really warm up to Zoe. For the book's first part, she felt flat and one-dimensional. I won't say I loved her as a main character, but she was ok. Overall, I enjoyed the book and recommend it to anyone who wants a light thriller/mystery.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!