Friday, February 24, 2023

Book Review: The First Prophet by Kay Hooper

 

Goodreads Summary: Within the FBI, there exists a team of psychics whose powers cannot be denied. But these agents are feared—by a cabal of conspirators with only one weapon: to blind the psychics to the evils all around them.

Months ago Sarah Gallagher woke from a coma with psychic abilities she couldn't control. They changed her life and cost her the man she loved. And now, someone is playing games with Sarah's mind.

It begins with Sarah's home being destroyed by fire—an act of arson that draws novelist Tucker Mackenzie into Sarah's confidence. But he has other reasons for pursuing a woman who can see what others can't. So does a mysterious enemy intent on eliminating Sarah and everyone she cares about. Because it's only a matter of time before her visions lead her and Tucker to a secret many will kill to hide. Only then will they begin to discover the scope of a terrifying conspiracy so deep and complex that they can trust almost no one.

Good Reads Ratings: 3.86 stars with over 4,500 ratings

Genre listing: Paranormal, Mystery, Suspense, Fiction, Romance, Thriller, Crime

Goodreads Challenge: #47 Read a book that involves a conspiracy (find the entire challenge here)

Book Review:

Hello, readers! I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the start of the weekend. I'm going to keep this review relatively short. I'm exhausted, and after I write this, I plan to just play on my phone until I pass out for the night. Exciting plans, I know. This is what happens when you're secretly an elderly person disguised as a 30-something.

I was going to initially use The First Prophet by Kay Hooper as my book that was recommended by a friend. However, the more I got into it, the more it became apparent it was about a conspiracy (I had forgotten initially), so I decided to slot it for #47 since that would be harder for me to find than a recommendation from someone. 

It took me a bit to get into the book. I don't really blame the story for that, however. I started it when I was reading Time's Convert, and given that both books switch points of view a lot, it made it hard for me to pay attention. Once I got into it, I enjoyed it. I liked reading about Sarah and watching her figure out her psychic abilities. I liked Tucker, but I felt like he needed more faults. He was too weirdly good at everything. Having him around made the conflicts seem too easy and predictable. The twist at the end did surprise me a bit, however.

I liked the book. However, I don't know how quickly I will pick up the series. I'm apprehensive because I still have unanswered questions, but I get the feeling that they aren't going to be answered as it pertains to Sarah's storyline specifically. I hope I'm wrong, though, as I did enjoy it, and I'm curious to see where the story goes with Sarah and Tucker. There are a lot of secrets that will be interesting to see how they unravel.

It was a fun read, and I'd buy the next book if I came across it in a bookstore.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!