Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Book Review: The Apothecary's Poison by C.J. Archer



Goodreads Summary: When a newspaper report of a medical miracle catches Matt's eye, he and India go in search of Dr. Hale in the hope he is more magical doctor than miracle worker and can lead them to Chronos. But Hale turns out to be an apothecary magician keen to educate the public about magic.
Their disappointment at not finding Chronos is soon forgotten when Hale is murdered, and Matt becomes a suspect. With Matt's nemesis Sheriff Payne influencing the investigating detective, India and Matt know they must find the real killer, or risk his freedom, and ultimately his life. Time is running out as they hunt for a killer capable of turning medicine into poison with a magic spell, as well as continue the search for Chronos. A search that must end in success before Matt's malfunctioning watch stops altogether.
Goodreads Rating: 4.15 stars with over 4,400 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Historical Fiction, Magic
Previous Reviews on the Series: The Watchmaker's DaughterThe Mapmaker's Apprentice
Goodreads Challenge: 27/60
2020 Reading Challenge: #19 Read a book with a building on the cover (find the full challenge here)

Book Review:

*Edit: Apparently, my Grammarly updates aren't taking effect when I make them. Please excuse my dust while I go through and edit hundreds of posts in between work and classes.*

Happy Tuesday, Readers! Hopefully, everyone had a good weekend. I decided to dive into the third book of a series that I absolutely adore. The Glass and Steele series by C.J. Archer follows India Steele and her employer Matt Glass through Victorian England as they solve magic-related mysteries and try to find the Time-Magician, Chronos. This series reminds me a lot of the Penny Green series by Emily Organ, but with magic. 

The Apothecary's Poison takes place shortly after The Mapmaker's Apprentice. It's been a little bit since I read the second book, but the story was pretty easy to get back into. There are not any significant gaps in time between each book, so I didn't feel like I had to scramble to remember what happened. Plus, there's always a small recap in the story without bogging the current events down. 

I felt like this one had a lot of action surrounding the mystery, and I was hooked for the entire book. I was completely wrong on who the murderer was. I always like how C.J. Archer provides a few different potential suspects. A lot went on in The Apothecary's Poison with a carriage crash, and shooting, and some threats. Plus, Debutante lunches to find Matt a Missus. 

Everything I want to talk about kind of spoils the book, and I'm exhausted, which isn't helping. We do get a new character introduced, Oscar. He's a reporter and very interested in magic and maybe makes Matt a smidge jealous. Right. Spoilers. He's an interesting character who definitely makes the series progress.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this book. As soon as I finished it, I dove right into book 4 of the series, which I finished last night at like 3 am (hence the exhaustion). This series is good if you like mystery, historical fiction, and magic. It combines all three in a nice little package. India is sassy when she wants to be and doesn't hesitate to put people in their places. Matt can be charming when he wants to be, and his sidekicks are a lot of fun. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!