Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Book Review: Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Goodreads Summary: The magnificent saga continues...
It began in Scotland, at an ancient stone circle. There, a doorway, open to a select few, leads into the past—or the grave. Claire Randall survived the extraordinary passage, not once but twice. Her first trip swept her into the arms of Jamie Fraser, an eighteenth-century Scot whose love for her became legend—a tale of tragic passion that ended with her return to the present to bear his child. Her second journey, two decades later, brought them together again in frontier America. But Claire had left someone behind in the twentieth century. Their daughter, Brianna...

Now Brianna has made a disturbing discovery that sends her to the stone circle and a terrifying leap into the unknown. In search of her mother and the father she has never met, she is risking her own future to try to change history...and to save their lives. But as Brianna plunges into an uncharted wilderness, a heartbreaking encounter may strand her forever in the past...or root her in the place she should be, where her heart and soul belong...
Goodreads Rating: 4.35 stars with over 191,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Historical Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Fiction, Time Travel,
Previous Reviews on the series: OutlanderDragonfly in AmberVoyager
Goodreads Challenge: 9/60
2020 Reading Challenge: 4.) Read a book by your favorite Author (find the full challenge here)


Book Review:

I'm not even sure how to start this review. I was not prepared for the ending. Reading Drums of Autumn ended up being a different experience for me than reading the first three books in the series. I was trying to watch the show on Netflix/Stars. I started after I had already read Voyager, but once I got through season 3, I couldn't stop. I ended up watching most of season 4 before even purchasing Drums of Autumn. I felt like a lot of my internal dialogue while reading was deciphering how the show changed things.

The book is always better, but I don't feel like season four was that far off. There were some timeline changes, except for Jenny not being in season four and the ending I feel like it was a pretty close adaptation. I liked the conclusion in the book way better. I really hope that book five dives more into it. I want to read Brianna and Claire's reaction.

I really liked the history aspect of Drums of Autumn. It's set in an exciting time frame just before the American Revolution. I'm no expert on the subject, but I feel like Diana Gabaldon does an excellent job of research for the historical setting. It feels realistic, and I absolutely adore the frivolous details about attire. It makes me happy.

There's very little in this book that doesn't make me happy. The main thing that does not make me happy is Stephen Bonnet. Holy hell, he is vile. I knew he was awful from watching the show, but somehow he was worse in the book. I can't fully articulate my hate for him, but I was disappointed that he was not gutted like a fish.  Maybe in book 5, but then I'd have to read about him again.

I thought that the relationship between Jamie and Brianna was interesting. The dynamic between them made me laugh and was essentially Jamie arguing with the female version of himself from the future. Despite that, their non-fighting moments were delightful. Jamie makes an absolutely adorable grandpa. I thought it was so cute how adoring he was to the munchkin.

I found it interesting how easily Roger slipped into the 1700s Scot role. He almost seemed unrecognizable from the Scholar once he entered the circle. I think more than once, I muttered, "Communicate, you stubborn Scot." Roger's lineage is really fascinating to me, and we get to find out a little bit more of it in Drums of Autumn. I'm not sure if it's going to get explored more, however. I'm leaning towards it won't get too much more in-depth. I think that there's going to be a lot more conflict between Jamie and Roger.

As always, I adored Jenny. She's one of my favorites in the series. This book, however, she beat out by Lord John Grey. He was just gallant and wonderful. I thought his scenes with Brianna were absolutely hilarious. I'm assuming he'll continue to be a small part of the series. If not, I'm rioting. Which, for me, means I'll silently brood and continue reading.

As with all of the series, I absolutely loved the Drums of Autumn. I can't wait to read book five when I have time to sit down with another 1000 page book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!