Friday, March 6, 2020

Book Review: The Death Cure by James Dashner


Goodreads Summary: It's the end of the line.
WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it's finally over. The trials are complete after one final test.

Will anyone survive?

What WICKED doesn't know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it's enough to prove that he can't believe a word of what they say.

The truth will be terrifying.

Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. He'll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all.

The time for lies is over.
Goodreads Rating: 3.77 stars with over 315,000 reviews
Genre Listing: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopian
Previous Reviews on the series: Maze Runner by James DashnerScorch Trials by James Dashner
Goodreads Challenge: 10/60 books
2020 Reading Challenge: #3 A book with a blue cover (find the full challenge here)

Book Review:

I've picked an ... interesting time to start The Maze Runner series back up. I set it down for a bit so I could get some other books on the challenge read. The Death Cure takes place right after the Scorch Trials when Tom is captured by WICKED. One of the things I've come to appreciate about this series is it takes almost no time to get back into it. The story moves fast, and the chapters are pretty short, which for me makes it grab my attention pretty quickly.

I don't know that I was as into The Death Cure as I was Maze Runner or Scorch Trials. It was good, but I didn't find myself bargaining how many more chapters I could read before I had to put it down and go to bed. There was a lot of warfare type of activities, and all I could think was, "Where did these teenagers learn to strategically shoot guns?" Yep. I'm officially old.  Throughout the entire story, I was curious to see what the cure would ultimately be if we would find out if it worked, or if they'd even develop it. I'm trying to not give spoilers, but it wasn't what I expected; however, it made a lot of sense.

I thought it was interesting that the story came full circle in the end. I don't know that a lot of series do that, but The Death Cure tied up a lot of loose ends. Newt's part in the story made me sad, but I think it was a necessary catalyst for the story. I feel like I should probably be upset about what happened to Teresa, but I'm not. Honestly, I kind of brushed past her final scene. I was ready to be done with her in Scorch Trials. There's a character that pops back into the story that I found very unexpected. It helped to close the circle.

I think the thing that disappointed me with The Death Cure is the memories. At one point in the story, everyone's given the option to retain their memories. I really thought this would have been a bigger deal. Not everyone opts to get their memories back, and for me, I really wanted to dive more into this. I think it'd be interesting to not only finally find out more of what the characters went through but to also see some of the psychology behind them finally remembering everything. I concede that this is all probably too advanced for a YA series, though. Again. I'm old.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. It's entertaining and moves quickly, which after the daunting 1,000ish pages of Drums of Autumn, I needed. It's easy to get into, and I think it presents an interesting twist to the Dystopian theme of disease outbreak and how to survive it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!