Sunday, December 8, 2019

Book Review: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner


Goodreads Summary: Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.
Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.
Goodreads Rating: 3.92 stars with over 400,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Young Adult, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Previous Review on the series: Maze Runner
Goodreads Challenge: 35/50
2019 Reading Challenge: #48 Free Space, Pick any Book! (Find the full challenge here.)

Book Review:

I was really hoping that I would be able to make a larger dent in the challenges, but I don't think I'm going to get much past 36 or 37 before the year is up. We'll see though. Tress and I are working on the 2020 Reading Challenge and I hope to have that finalized within the next week. I was surprised that  2019's challenge was viewed around 8,000 times. Holy crap!  Anyways, We'll post the challenge up on both blogs once it's finalized and I'll do my year in review post around New Years Day.  On with The Scorch Trials!

Like The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials moves pretty quickly. It takes place right after the kids leave the Maze. They're sent into some secret location and held captive and then forced out into the world to survive with The Flare- a disease that the world contracted during the solar flares that destroyed most of the world. Their objective is to reach the Safe Haven in two weeks.

I think it took me a little longer to get into the Scorch Trials than it did The Maze Runner. I thought a lot of aspects of it were very predictable. It was still good and enjoyable, but I kind of felt through most of it where the story was going. I especially thought that Teresa's part in everything wasn't much of a surprise. Brenda's inclusion in the story was interesting, but she felt odd to me the entire time. There's a little bit of a cliff hanger with her story that I assume will pick up in the third book. Right now, I don't really trust her. 

It's a little hard for me to go into the character development of the story because I don't really know that there is any. Thomas gets some of his memories back, but they're in pieces. I think that's the most interesting part of the story for me. I'm curious to know more about the behind the scenes aspect of the Maze and the Scorch. The survival aspect is interesting, but for me I want it to lead back to how it all started. I'm assuming that's what the Prequels are for, so I'm really anxious to finish up the series and read them.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Scorch Trials by James Dashner. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Maze Runner, but still enjoyed it. It's an easy world to get sucked into and reads pretty quickly. There's not a ton of character development, but it's not really necessary. I think the lack of character background is kind of interesting because it plays into the memory loss. It's a good dystopian read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!