Monday, May 7, 2018

2018 Reading Challenge Progress Update


Hello, Readers! This post is long overdue. I meant to do an update per quarter, but well my time management skills are horrendous. I also meant to start doing weekly posts. When I say these things, just roll your eyes and say "Sure you are, Linz!"

I set my goal for the year at 30 books. I generally set it for around 50, but the past few years I've not come close to meeting it, so I thought I'd be a little more realistic with my goal. Plus, I knew I was going to try and read a couple of 500+ page books. So far, according to Goodreads, I'm right on track at 10 books read so far.

If you're wanting to check out the original challenge post, you can find it here. If you want to check out my co-author Tress's latest update on the challenge you can check that out at her blog, which is linked here. She's kicking my butt on our challenge and has almost read double the amount of books I have so far.

Level 1: Book of the Month Club

1.) A book from Project Gutenberg- Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
2.) A book that costs less than $5- Fate's Mistress by Laura Du Pre *
       *This is cheating just a smidge. I got this with Kindle Unlimited so I didn't technically pay for it. But it's currently listed at $0.99 for the Kindle version, so I'm counting on it. I didn't originally have this on my challenge, but it was bugging me that I had read a book, not on the list.
8.) A book under 300 pages- Lady of the Court by Laura Du Pre
10.) A book with a one-word title- Limelight by Emily Organ

Level 2: Casual Reader Club

21.) A book that involves a mythical creature- Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Level 3: Dedicated Reader Club

27.) First in a series you've wanted to start- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
29.) A Book with a purple cover- The Maid's Secret by Emily Organ
33.) A book that takes place before 1900- Rookery by Emily Organ

Level 4: Speed Reader Club

40.) Read a Compliation of Short Stories- Six Scary Stories- Various Authors, Selected by Stephen King
57.) A book that was originally published in a foreign language- The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas

I'm really intrigued by the fact that Tress and I are going about this in completely different ways. She's super organized and trying to go level by level, where I'm just going through and hoping for the best. I think this is kind of how we approach life too.

Here's a little bit of what I have in the works, or plan to read soon.

I'm currently reading:
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Fool by Christopher Moore
The Witch of Cologne by Tobsha Learner  (reread)

Going with two huge books at one time is not one of my better ideas, so I started Fool last night to try and get something actually finished so my posts aren't a month a part.

Here's some books I'm hoping to read soonish:
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
The Tsarina's Daughter by Carolly Erickson
A Nameless Witch by A. Lee Martinez (reread)
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (reread)
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (reread)
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray


If you're currently doing this challenge with Tress and I, I would love to hear where you're at!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!