Sunday, September 21, 2014

Book Review of Touch by Jennifer Snyder


Goodreads Summary: Seventeen-year-old Rowan Harper knows her life is forever changed the moment her schizophrenic mother commits suicide. What Rowan doesn’t realize is how much her mother’s choice altered her own fate. It’s not until after meeting Jet, a sapphire-eyed dead boy, Rowan begins to learn of her new destiny as becoming her mother’s replacement for something she never knew existed.
Plus a bonus short story-Choice- told from Jet’s perspective!

People often say everything happens for a reason. Seventeen-year-old Jet Donavan Mathews is about to find out that statement is not always true. Jet will learn that sometimes there are moments which were never meant to occur, moments where you are left with a choice.
Goodreads Rating: 3.65 with 140 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, death, grim reapers, Young Adult, Romance, Fiction
Get the book: Amazon
My other reviews of Jennifer Snyder's books: Hereafter

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

I seem to be on a Novella kick this week, but I'm kind of okay with that. It's allowing me to read more books in a shorter amount of time. It's probably cheating for my Goodreads yearly goal, but I don't care. Onward with the review.

I actually got into this story because I read a chapter of Hereafter first. I didn't realize it was a series. Luckily, I already had Touch on my kindle, so I'm not breaking my rule of only reading from my already established unread pile. Because this was so short, I was going to do one review for both books, but I think that'd be too confusing. Also, I'm tired and will get things confused if I wait.

This book was only about 74 pages, so there isn't much to say. In Touch we get a look at Rowan, and the difficult time she's going through. I thought that enough detail was given to get me to connect with the characters, and a surprising bit happens in so few pages.

One thing I thought was particularly interesting was that we see Rowan dealing with her mother's choices. Her mother makes some bad choices, resulting in her death, and Rowan's left with the aftermath of it. The choices her mother made affect both Rowan's physical world and spiritual world, which is interesting to me.

A nice inclusion of this book is a short story about how Jet dies. It's mentioned briefly in the main story, but it's nice to get the full story on that, and see how it turned him into what he is.

This series is definitely continuing my obsession with Grim Reapers. It's a little weird that I have this obsession with them, but I do not care. I blame the TV show Dead Like Me, and the character Death in the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and it didn't take up really any time at all to read. I'll probably finish Hereafter in the morning. It seems oddly fitting that my family is going to go to church, and I'm going to be a Heathen and stay home to read about Grim Reapers.

Four out of Five Moons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!