Monday, September 22, 2014

Book Review of Hereafter by Jennifer Snyder

Goodreads Summary: In Death I could finally see the importance of Life…
After being forced to become a Reaper Council member and being torn away from the one she loves, Rowan Harper must learn to accept her altered Fate as well as her death and move on. A task easier said than done, especially when witnessing those you love to suffer in the wake of your death.

When an unlikely ally provides information that could change everything, Rowan sets out on a journey through Purgatory with her beloved by her side and a nonchalant Tracker to learn the true meaning of the word sacrifice. Another task which seems easier said than done, especially with the threat of Purgatory’s ability to corrupt your soul the longer you’re in its grip looming above their heads.
Goodreads Rating: 4.14 with 43 ratings
Genre listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, romance, Death, Grim Reapers, Time Travel,
Get the book: Amazon
My other reviews of Jennifer Snyder's books: Touch

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

I meant to finish this up yesterday, but instead, I took a much-needed nap. I'm impressed with Jennifer Snyder's ability to get such an amazing story out in such few pages. Combined both books were only about 230 pages long. In those 230 pages is a lot of character depth and detail. In Hereafter, Rowan struggles with the fact that the Council position is forced upon her, which makes her afterlife more complicated than it already was.I appreciate the additional detail given in Hereafter. We got a lot more look at how some of the reaper stuff works, and we got to travel into Purgatory.

I guess from the way that Hereafter ended that there won't be any more Reaper Novellas. I hope that's the case. That's nothing against the Reaper Novellas. Hereafter ended perfectly, and I think adding another book to it could ruin that perfection. It bugs me when books end correctly and then another book gets added for whatever reason. Letting a series end is okay.

Rowan and Jet are the first book couple in a long time that I've cheered for. I usually don't care much about the sappy romance stuff, but I was rooting for them to work out a way to get together. Now that I've read both of the books, I think that one of the main things I like is how it's a dark book, but also happy at the same time. There is a decent balance between the death and the romance in the book.

I feel for Rowan, and find her to be an unyielding character. Losing a parent isn't easy, but she essentially had to go through it twice all while dealing with her death and watching her father slip away too. I know I've already said this, but I'm baffled a what a complete story it was in such few pages. It's a well-done set of novellas. If you're into the dark paranormal stuff, but also want a little romance, I highly recommend you check these two novellas out.


                                           Five out of Five Moons, and going into my favorite collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!