Saturday, September 20, 2014

Book Review of A Stranger Magic by D.C. Akers

Goodreads Summary: Sam Dalcome thinks he is so completely average that no one ever notices him. Until he discovers a mysterious stranger outside his home. Bewildered, he tries to uncover the stranger’s intentions. But Sam is sidetracked when he and his friend Travis discover a secret passageway deep in the town’s quarry that leads to a hidden cavern. What they uncover next will not only change their lives forever but will uncover the first clue to a deadly Dalcome family secret. Sam finds himself drawn into a world of mystery and magic he never knew existed, which brings him closer to a destiny he never knew was possible.

HAVEN SERIES: Known as a place of refuge, Haven is a sanctuary for those with supernatural abilities. Decades of peace between the Witches, Vampires, Goblins, Elves, and Orcs is coming to an end. Now the once tranquil world is shrouded in deception and corruption. Dark secrets tear at the very fabric of their alliance giving way to an evil that stirs in the shadows. Exhilarating and utterly gripping, the HAVEN series is an action-packed journey full of suspense, magic, mystery, and intrigue.

HAVEN: A Stranger Magic is the first Novella in the HAVEN series by author D.C. Akers. This Novella contains 28,817 words and about 172 pages in print form.

Goodreads Rating: 3.57 with 257 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Young Adult, Science Fiction, Adventure, Magic
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository,


Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

First off, I owe everyone an apology. Apparently, I lied the last review when I said that I stay away from books under 350 pages. I was going back through to add more links to my "Get the book" links, and noticed quite a bit were well under that. So, my apologies for being misleading.

This was another book in my unread collection. It's been calling me for a while, and for whatever reason, I ignored that calling. I'm sorry that I did. This book is fantastic. I was impressed because the last review I did was complaining about a book being too short, but this one was only 150 pages and was well done.

There is a lot of stories packed into so few pages. D.C. Akers did an excellent job of creating this world and story. I felt a great connection to the characters. There was a good amount of action. I'm getting a glimpse of what's to come in the second book. I'm struggling to think of something I don't like about this book.

The book was light, and funny, but not so much that it seemed pointless. The things that Sarah and Sam go through seem like something that teenagers would go through (well the regular life stuff, apparently the magic stuff didn't.) I'm excited to see how their story develops and find more out about Haven. I might have to break my "no buying books" thing for the second installment. Yeah, that lasted all of a day, I know. I can't help it; it's a good little story.

If you're in the mood for a good adventure story, but don't want to be bogged down with pages, I highly recommend this book. As a side note, I think that Harry Potter lovers would enjoy this. I'm sure others will too, but it just seems kind of Harry Pottery to me.

P.S. This is apparently one of Amazon's best-selling books. :)
Five out of Five moons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!