Friday, April 29, 2022

Book Review: The Fourth Monkey by J.D. Barker

 

Goodreads Summary: For over five years, the Four Monkey Killer has terrorized the residents of Chicago. When his body is found, the police quickly realize he was on his way to deliver one final message, one which proves he has taken another victim who may still be alive.

As the lead investigator on the 4MK task force, Detective Sam Porter knows even in death, the killer is far from finished. When he discovers a personal diary in the jacket pocket of the body, Porter finds himself caught up in the mind of a psychopath, unraveling a twisted history in hopes of finding one last girl, all while struggling with personal demons of his own.

With only a handful of clues, the elusive killer’s identity remains a mystery. Time is running out and the Four Monkey Killer taunts from beyond the grave in this masterfully written fast-paced thriller.

Goodreads Ratings: 4.16 stars with over 26,000 ratings

Genre Listing: Thriller, Mystery, Fiction, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Detective, Crime

Goodreads Challenge: 10/48

2022 Reading Challenge: #35 Read a Psychological Thriller (find the entire challenge here)


Book Review: 

I'm not really sure how this book wound up on my radar. I think I was digging through Kindle Unlimited trying to find something dark and twisted. This book definitely fits this requirement. I was drawn in pretty quickly to the case and what was going on. 

I don't really read a lot of Psychological/Crime thrillers, but the plot felt unique to me. I thought it was interesting that we not only got the present-day solving of the case but also information about the serial killer's past in his own words via his diary. I thought 4MK's diary entries were fascinatingly twisted. It was interesting to see how he was raised and groomed for what he became. He was also eerily polite. The entire time I was reading the book I felt like the serial killer was some hybrid of Ned Flanders from the Simpsons and Ted Bundy. 

I really liked the red herrings in this book. It wasn't super straightforward forward and it kept me guessing. Not only just with the case, but 4MK's past, and personal things going on with Detective Porter. I will say that while I enjoyed the book, I think I was more invested in 4MK's background than Porter's. There was a bit that tried to make him feel relatable, but mostly he just felt like a placeholder because somebody had to solve the case. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the story and will probably read more of J.D. Barker's books in the future. I don't think I'll jump right into another one, however. Mainly because I still have a ton of spots to fill on this challenge. I would not read this book if you're easily triggered. This one deals with domestic abuse, torture, workplace harassment, etc. However, if you are looking for a gory, twisted detective story, I would definitely recommend this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!