Sunday, November 1, 2020

Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

 

Goodreads Summary: Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.
Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.

Goodreads Rating: 4.22 stars with over 1.4 million ratings

Genre Listing: Science Fiction, Fiction, Humor, Fantasy, Adventure

Goodreads Challenge: 41/60 books

2020 Reading Challenge: #56 A book that takes place in space/on another planet (find the full challenge here

Book Review:

Happy belated Halloween, Ghouls, and Goblins! I hope everyone had a lovely Halloween. I spent the day binge-watching some of my favorites. Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, and The Addams Family (2019 version) were all on the list. I was going to watch some more but ended up doing some Christmas shopping since I'm going home for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas this year. Aside from my husband and a couple of friends, I am DONE. Woohoo!

Alright, so The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a gimmie for #56. I'd been planning on reading this for it all along, which probably makes it one of the few books that have been read as planned. The movie is actually in my top ten favorite movies (Ooo, top ten list idea.) It's been a while since I've watched it, but I was surprised at how close the movie was to the book. Now that I've read the book, I can say it's probably one of the closest book to movie adaptations I've encountered. 

Because the movie was so close, it felt a lot like I had already read the book before. The only huge differences I felt were the description of Ford and maybe a couple of additional conversations. I think the movie may have ended slightly differently, but like I said, it's been a while since I've watched it. Otherwise, it all seemed familiar, which made it pretty quick to read through when I could sit down and read. 

It was funny and light, and I really enjoyed the story. I was surprised that the book was published in 1979 because many of the technology descriptions felt fairly modern. At less than 220 pages, it's great if you just want something humorous and quick. Great science fiction to get lost in for a few hours.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!