Saturday, September 28, 2019

Book Review: The Rule of Many by Ashley and Leslie Saunders


Goodreads Summary:  Born to a death sentence in a near-future America, rebellious sisters herald a revolution—if they can survive.

Twins Ava and Mira Goodwin defy the Rule of One simply by existing. The single-child law, ruthlessly enforced by Texas’s Governor Roth, has made the sisters famous fugitives and inspirations for the resurgent rebellion known as the Common.

But the relentless governor and his implacable Texas State Guard threaten that fragile hope, as Roth consolidates his power in a bid for ultimate authority.

As Ava and Mira relinquish the relative safety of their Canadian haven to stand against Roth, new allies arise: Owen, a gifted young programmer, impulsively abandons his comfortable life in a moment of compassion, while Zee, an abused labor camp escapee, finds new purpose in resistance.

The four will converge on Dallas for a reckoning with Roth, with nothing less than their destinies—and the promise of a future free from oppression—on the line.

Disobedience means death. But a life worth living demands rebellion.
Goodreads Rating: 3.97 stars with over 1,000 ratings.
Genre Listing: Science Fiction, Dystopia, Young Adult, Fiction
Goodreads Challenge: 21/50 (Gahhh almost halfway there. Maybe I can meet my goal.)
2019 Reading Challenge: #32 A book that takes place in a large city (See the full challenge here.)
Review on other books in the series: Rule of One


Book Review:

It feels like I've been reading Rule of Many forever. It's only been a few weeks, though. This is not in any way, shape, or form the book's fault. It was a lack of sitting down and reading on my part. Mainly because I had to finalize my capstone project and graduate!!!! Hurray! I'm done with school. It's a massive relief for sure. I hope that means more time to read in the future!

I picked up Rule of Many by Ashley and Leslie Saunders as soon as I finished Rule of One. The first book was more getting to know the world Ava and Mira lived in as well as their life as forbidden twins. Rule of Many you get to see their life as rebellion leaders, America's most wanted, and figuring out who they are as individuals. 

I don't feel like there was ever a dull moment in Rule of Many, but it does switch between characters quite a bit. I think that Rule of One only switched between Ava and Mira, but I can't remember. Rule of Many includes perspective from "Zee" and Owen. Zee's introduction is a fascinating one, and I like the addition of her character in the story. Owen's point of view was okay. I didn't get really into it, and at times I found it kind of annoying. It wasn't super detrimental, but it didn't really feel necessary. I didn't fully get his motivation for joining the Common. It was kind of forced like his joining was because he had no other option.

I don't think this is the end of the story, and I hope it's not. I'm curious to see where the Common's Rebellion goes. There were some exciting additions to Ava and Mira's world, and I'd love to read more about them. Not to give too much away for The Rule of Many, but there's definitely a traitor in the Common. I'll be honest, I wagered a guess and was completely wrong on who it was.

I think the thing I like the most about the Rule of Many is just how quick it moves, which was similar to the Rule of One. It's under 400 pages and jumps right into the action. There's not a ton of rehashing what happened in The Rule of Many. I like reading through Mira and Ava's journey of figuring out who they are as individuals now that they don't have to pretend to be the same person.  Also, as far as dystopian/ Sci-Fi, it feels entirely plausible. I think if you're a fan of Hunger Games and Divergent you'd enjoy this series. So definitely check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!