Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Book Review: The Inventor by Emily Organ


Goodreads Summary: London 1884. Electricity pioneer Simon Borthwick lights up Victorian London with a stunning illuminations display – then shoots himself in a hansom cab.
Plucky Fleet Street reporter Penny Green witnesses the inventor’s death and suspects the clue to his suicide lies in a mysterious letter he left behind. But can she persuade Inspector James Blakely of Scotland Yard that a crime has been committed?

Borthwick isn’t the only person who died that day, and Penny soon encounters a shadowy world which the police can’t get close to. When the intimidation begins, Penny starts to fear for her own safety. James does what he can to protect her, but is it enough?
Goodreads Rating: 4.27 with just around 200 ratings
Genre Listing: Historical Fiction, Mystery, Fiction
Get the Book: Amazon
Goodreads challenge: 17/30
2018 Reading Challenge: #15, A book in your favorite color (find the reading challenge here.)

Review:

I am so addicted to this series. I love how quick each book flows and gets right into the action. I've been jumping up and down since book one for others to read this series so that I can have someone to talk about it.

The thing I like about Penny is she's fairly independent. Yes, there are romantic interests, but for the most part, it doesn't wholly consume her thoughts. She's smart and puts pieces together in the crimes that others may not see (or don't want to see). The mystery aspect of it was interesting, but it didn't leave me on the edge of my seat like the rest of the series.

I thought the story behind "Maria" was interesting, but it definitely did not go the way I thought it was going to. I really got it in my head that "Maria" was going to be someone connected to Penny's father in some fashion. I did feel a little disappointed in this book regarding the plot behind her father's disappearance. It was mentioned, but I felt like it got pushed to the side in The Inventor. I'm actually really intrigued by where that storyline goes.

I'm kind of annoyed by the relationship between James and Penny at this point. It's bordering on an affair, and I don't care for it. Mr. Edwards kind of grew on me in this book, so I'm more curious to see where his relationship with Penny goes than James'. The dynamic between them just felt kind of weird and a little wrong in The Inventor. They were openly flirty with one another, and it just didn't fit in my mind. I'm pretty over James and Penny, but some of that may be because I started the next book on my lunch break today. I actually finished The Inventor a little bit ago, but haven't had the time to review it.

Overall, I liked The Inventor by Emily Organ, but it wasn't my favorite in the series. I'm hoping that Curse of the Poppy touches more on her dad's disappearance and the mystery behind it. As well as a budding relationship with Mr. Edwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!