Friday, August 24, 2018

Book Review: Curse of the Poppy by Emily Organ


Goodreads Summary: A woman dies in a burglary in Fitzrovia. A man is murdered in an opium den in Limehouse. Gutsy Fleet Street reporter Penny Green suspects the two deaths are connected, but how can she prove it?
The answer may lie in Whitehall where the India Office reaps the benefits of Britain’s opium trade. But when Inspector James Blakely of Scotland Yard begins investigating, an unforeseen danger looms.

Soon Penny is forced to act alone and is put to the ultimate test when her quest becomes personal.

Curse of the Poppy is Book 5 in the Penny Green Mystery Series set in 1880s London. The books can be read in any order:
Goodreads Rating: 4.32 stars with about 75 ratings
Genre Listing: Mystery, Fiction, Historical Fiction
Get the Books: Amazon
Goodreads Challenge: 19/30
2018 Reading Challenge: #52 A book with a flower on the cover (See the challenge here.)

Book Review:

Have I gushed about the Penny Green series by Emily Organ, yet? Oh, I have? Go read this series then. Curse of the Poppy is the fifth book in the Penny Green series, and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This one just dropped a couple of weeks ago, so there aren't many reviews on it, but it's definitely worth the read. The series is supposed to be able to be read in any order, but I personally believe they should be read in order. I don't think the interactions in the books would be as impactful if read out of order. 

I thought the storyline in the Curse of the Poppy was interesting, and with this one, I really didn't have any clue who the murder was. It was suspenseful and definitely kept me on my toes. I liked how Penny's Brother in Law gets involved in the investigation. I think it could definitely open up some potential plots going forward. There's a lot that happened in this book, and it's made me so pumped for the 6th book. Seriously. When I finished it, I'm pretty sure that I just sat there for a minute with my mouth open.

There's so much about this book that I want to discuss, but if I do, I'm going to spoil it so bad. Seriously, someone binge-read the entire series and talk to me about it. I will say that the search for Penny's father sort of went where I thought I would, but I was pretty surprised at the conversation surrounding it. I need book 6 to exist like a week ago. Sadly, I've stalked the internet, and I can't find a release date for it. I'm assuming that there will be more books because there's no way the series can end with that gigantic cliffhanger.

I can't say it enough if you've like mystery and shorter novels this is a great series. You can get the entire series on kindle unlimited, and even if you buy them outright, the books aren't that expensive at all. Emily Organ actually has another series, which I haven't had the privilege of reading yet. It's called the Runaway Girl series, and it's definitely in my TBR pile. I will say that Emily Organ and other authors on Kindle Unlimited are definitely inspiring me to get my butt in gear and finish my 13 or so writing projects I've got going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!