Friday, December 2, 2016

Book Review of Influential Magic by Deanna Chase

Goodreads Summary:  It’s tough being a faery in New Orleans, a city fraught with vampires… especially when their very existence drains your life-force.
Willow Rhoswen, owner of The Fated Cupcake and part-time vampire hunter for the Void is having a rough week. Four years after her twin brother’s mysterious death, Willow’s life is threatened, and the director saddles her with a new partner—her ex-boyfriend, David. To her horror, he’s turned vamp, which causes her physical pain whenever she touches him… and any other specimen of the undead.

To save Willow’s life, David agrees to turn double agent against the most powerful vampire organization in New Orleans. Or so he says. And she’s convinced they know something about her brother’s death. Unsure where David’s loyalties lie, she turns to Talisen, her childhood crush, to help her solve the mystery.

Caught between two gorgeous men and a director who’ll stop at nothing to control Willow’s gifts, she’ll have to follow her instincts and learn who to trust. Otherwise, she risks losing more than just her life.

Goodreads Rating: 3.8 with over 1,700 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Fairies, Vampires, Romance
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository


Book Review:


I'm probably going to gush a lot about this book. I've had it on my Kindle forever, and I wish I had read it sooner. The world that Deanna Chase creates in Influential Magic is amazing. I'm a sucker for a well-detailed world, and this world delivered. 

Influential Magic is different than any fairy/fae book I've read previously. I thought that this book put a fascinating spin on the culture, and put so much care and thought into developing Willow's vampire-ridden world. I thought it was interesting how there wasn't much need for the paranormal to hide. They were out in the open and magic seemed like it was just a regular thing. 

I was completely absorbed in the details of this book, and I don't feel like I can talk about them enough. Deanna Chase went as far as even discussing the unique clothing Willow had to wear for her wings. I loved the fact that it explained how certain things weakened her and nature recharged Willow, to the point where her house had an enchanted tree growing on the inside where she slept.
How Willow's magic worked was fascinating, and I enjoyed how each fairy/fae had their unique abilities. Willow's ability to enhance plants was impressive to me, and I liked how she used it to build a successful bakery and uses her product to try and help the community.

It's not often that I get to say a book completely surprised me. There were so many twists and turns in this book that I had no idea where it was going. I was impressed because usually, I can somewhat predict what's going to happen, but I couldn't predict much at all in this one.

I appreciated the relationships in this book. I know, that's probably shocking considering my normal rampages about romance in books. Both of Willow's relationships made sense. Her relationship with David served its purpose and came full circle. She pined for him, but it wasn't because of how pretty he was. She talked about how sweet and caring he had been in their relationship. I'm so happy with how things developed between Willow and Tal. I love that they started out as mostly flirting, but never pursued anything for the sake of Willow's brother Beau. I adore that they started out as friends and grew into something a bit more. I'm a sucker for those types of relationships. 

I liked Willow as the main character. She didn't like being treated like a Damsel in Distress and hated the secrets that were forming to protect her. However, she also accepted that she wasn't a match for Vampires and Witches. She tried to do things her way, though, which I appreciated. I also liked how she thought things through before acting and didn't just jump in making things worse. I loved her little sidekick Link. I thought his shifter ability to just turn from a regular dog to a wolf was a different take on shifters.

Phoebe was an interesting witch, and I liked how she would do just about anything to save Willow. She was a good side character, and I liked her different spells she used. For most of the book, I thought that "Aunt" Maude was vile, like Delores Umbridge level of vile. Yes, you read that right.

I don't have a single bad thing to say about this book. I truly enjoyed it, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!