Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Book Review of Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase

Goodreads Summary: Jade loves her new apartment—until a ghost joins her in the shower!
When empath Jade Calhoun moves into an apartment above a strip bar on Bourbon Street, she expects life to get interesting. What she doesn't count on is making friends with an exotic dancer, attracting a powerful spirit, and developing feelings for Kane, her sexy landlord.

Being an empath has never been easy on Jade's relationships. It's no wonder she keeps her gift a secret. But when the ghost moves from spooking Jade to terrorizing Pyper, the dancer, it's up to Jade to use her unique ability to save her. Except she'll need Kane's help to do it—and he's betrayed her with a secret of his own. Can she find a way to trust him and herself before Pyper is lost?
Goodreads Rating: 3.77 stars with over 8100 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Mystery, Ghosts, Empaths, Witches
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository

Book Review: 


This is the second book by Deanna Chase that I've read, and I'm completely blown away by her ability to create such a detailed paranormal universe. Haunted on Bourbon Street follows Jade Calhoun, an Empath in New Orleans. There's so much detail in her work, it's almost overwhelming (in a good way). 

I really liked Jade as a character, especially the fact that she's a glass bead maker and instructor. I've been making jewelry for 20 years now (Oh gods, I just aged myself) and I've always wanted to learn to make my own beads. It's a fascinating process to watch, so to bring this to life in Haunted on Bourbon Street was really incredible to me. I felt like Jade was a really strong main character. I liked how she was sassy and stood up for herself.

I thought it was interesting how detailed this book was. There was so much effort put into describing all of the characters and any powers they may have. They all had some kind of backstory, which was nice. It wasn't a flat story just about Jade. I felt like multiple stories were going on that gave a complete picture.

The Ghost aspects were... interesting... I'll be honest I was not prepared for there being a relationship with a ghost. That being said, I really enjoyed the ghost hunter part of the story. I love Ghost Hunter type shows, so this made it a fun read. I will say, aside from the identity of Jade's Ghost friend, I had the rest of the mystery surrounding the haunting figured out as far as how many ghosts there were wreaking havoc.

I didn't hate the relationship with Kane. I actually found him really sweet and caring. There was a bit of an ego, but I think it worked well for his character. I'd be curious to learn more about his own power. It was unique, and I'm glad it got showcased towards the end of the story.

The book leads to there being more to Jade's power, and I'm interested to see what that is. I'll definitely be on the look out for more of Deanna Chase's books. The two I've read so far have been pretty impressive.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!