Saturday, June 25, 2016

Book Review of American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Goodreads Summary: Shadow is a man with a past. But now he wants nothing more than to live a quiet life with his wife and stay out of trouble. Until he learns that she's been killed in a terrible accident.
Flying home for the funeral, as a violent storm rocks the plane, a strange man in the seat next to him introduces himself. The man calls himself Mr. Wednesday, and he knows more about Shadow than is possible.

He warns Shadow that a far bigger storm is coming. And from that moment on, nothing will ever be the same…
Goodreads Rating: 4.10 with over 415,000 ratings
Genre listing: Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Mythology, Fantasy, Supernatural
Get the book: AmazonBook Depository
Book Challenge: Pop Sugar Challenge, book 9/40 A book about a road trip

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

American Gods by Neil Gaiman is one of the books I picked up with my Readers Legacy credits. I was pretty excited to dive into it once I got it. At 500 some pages, it took me for what felt like forever to read.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I'm not in love with it, and I found that I had no trouble putting it down for a few days and then picking it back up. However, I could only read a little bit at a time. Part of this was due to time constraints, but a lot of it was because after about 20-30 pages it'd make me sleepy. It's not necessarily dull, but it has a lot of information that takes a lot of effort to process. It's constantly flipping from Shadow's story to random short stories about the Gods.

There wasn't any character that I was absolutely in love with in this book. I found Shadow to be pretty dull and lacked personality. I can't say why, but Laura got on my nerves. Every time she said "puppy" I assumed she was saying it in a god-awful whiny and nasally voice.

I put this as my book about a road trip, because when you get down to it, that's what it is. Shadow and Wednesday travel in whatever car they can find to rally the Gods. I thought this was interesting, and I liked to read about the places they would go and the Gods they would meet. This was probably my favorite part of the book and what kept me reading it.

I felt like the "war" was anti-climatic. I won't go into much detail about it, but the ending didn't wow me. I felt like the relationship between Wednesday and Shadow was predictable. Pretty sure I had it pegged in the first half of the book. I will say, I liked that the book came full circle. Everything had an ending and was nicely packaged for the book to finish.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. The husband will be probably happy I'm finished with it because he seems to want to read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!