Thursday, June 4, 2015

Book Review of Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl




Goodreads Summary: Is death the end . . . or only the beginning?
Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves.

Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan's return, vowing to do whatever it takes -- even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.

Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series
Goodreads Rating: 3.96 with over 43,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Magic, Supernatural, Fiction, Witches,
Get the Book: Amazon , Book Depository
My other reviews of Kami Garcia/ Margaret Stohl's books: Dangerous CreaturesBeautiful ChaosBeautiful Darkness

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

Beautiful Redemption is the final piece to the puzzle that is the Caster Chronicles. I love the series, but I'm glad this book gave it some finality to it. I hate when series go on and on and on with no end in sight. The Beautiful Creatures series is not one of those series. Book four is the final book.


I was apprehensive about how this book was going to be. Beautiful Chaos ended with Ethan jumping off a water tower to his death. I thought that Beautiful redemption gave the series a fascinating twist. During most of the book instead of following Ethan and Lena, we follow Ethan as a Sheer and Lena coping with Ethan's death.

Beautiful Redemption isn't as action packed as the other books, but it was different. Kami and Margaret allow readers to see into an entirely different world; the underworld and the far keep. I liked that in a lot of ways Ethan had to go on the journey set out in the book on his own. His friends were still able to help, but he was mostly alone.


The fight scene with Abraham felt odd to me. The dialect seemed out of place and reminiscent of a cheesy action flick. It ruined the scene for me. It also appeared to happen a little easily and at a weird place in the story. I don't know. The whole thing just didn't blend well with me.


I don't necessarily like how the book ended, but I understand that it needed to finish that way to give the series closure. How it ended was probably the biggest shock of all to me.


Overall, I felt it was a good story, but not as good as the others. It was very apparent to me it was all just to end the series. I am interested to see if any of these characters make appearances in Dangerous Creatures.


three out of five moons

2 comments:

  1. I loved this series, however found the ending of this book to be a bit of a disappointment - though I see what you mean about it ending this way to give the books some sort of closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvey,

      Thank you for the comment. I agree that the ending was a bit disappointing. I get the purpose of it, but didn't really care for it. I forgot to mention in my review that I felt it seemed rushed once he was back from the Far Keep. I was surprised, but also extremely confused by it.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!