Saturday, August 30, 2014

Book Review of Witch and Wizard by James Patterson


Goodreads Summary: The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

Goodreads Rating: 3.56 with just over 35,000 reviews

Genre Listing: Fantasy, Young Adult, Magic, Witches, Paranormal, Dystopian, Supernatural, Adventure, Science Fiction

Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository

Review:

Edited 11/25/2016

I started Witch and Wizard by James Patterson the other night when I was super stressed out. I needed something kind of light and fun to read. I was going to go for Beautiful Chaos but was I not feeling a 600-page book. This one was gifted to me by friend Leslie, who was cleaning out her bookshelf.

I'm a little torn on this book. It was entertaining, and I liked it, but I felt like it was rushed. It starts out with Wisty and Whit, who are about to be executed, and ends there as well. In that sense, it comes full circle, but I have no clue how they got to the execution point. Something happened between Wisty doing her flame thing and Whit being told the prophecies, but I have no clue what. There are a lot of scenes that I felt were rushed and didn't give me enough details. I'm left with a ton of questions and few answers.

I took notes while reading, why I have no idea. But here are my notes:

Feels kind of rushed, characters seems likable, especially Wisty.
Chapter 39ish- Of course Celia is a ghost
Chapter 40/41, what tests did they perform? I don't remember mention of tests.
Is Wisty the only one with powers?
One who is the One's dialogue is lame.
Apparently, the tests are the One who is the One watching them.
Some "fake prison" to make them bring out all of their powers for training?
Tickles... obvious torture for traitorous humans turned weasels.
The Hell is a Pukka?
I think that I'm going to have to read the Gift just to have my questions answered. I'm hoping that it explains things a lot more, because aside from the rushed lack of details, I do enjoy the story.

Overall, good, not great, not going to be obsessed with it. Will still probably read the series.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!