Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Book Review of Graveyard Shift by Angela Roquet


Goodreads Summary: The Inferno has Evolved… Lana Harvey is a reaper and a lousy one at that. She resides in Limbo City, the modern capital of the collective afterlives, where she likes to stick it to the man (the legendary Grim Reaper himself) by harvesting the bare minimum of souls required of her. She’d much rather be hanging out with Gabriel, her favorite archangel, at Purgatory Lounge. But when a shocking promotion falls in her lap, Lana learns something that could unravel the very fabric of Eternity. If the job isn’t completed, there could be some real hell to pay.
Goodreads Rating: 3.97 with 223 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Angels, Reapers, Romance, Demons, Humor, Adult,
Get the Book: Amazon
My other reviews of Angela Roquet's books: For The BirdsPocket Full of Posies

Review:

Edited 11/24/2016
I found this book free on Amazon, and let me tell you; it is an absolute gem. Lana's a likable character and Grim Reaper. She does what she has to get by in her job, but breaks the rules to help good souls she reaps that are destined for the Sea of Eternity. In the story, we see Lana go from this do the bare-minimum type of reaper to an ass-kicking reaper who fights off demons. If you're looking for a quick read with a strong female character, this might be for you.
This book has a lot of comedic value in it. For example, Lana and her friends, Josie and the archangel Gabriel, play poker. They don't play just any poker, though, they play with a grim reaper set of cards, and the winning combination of cards are given a death name- like the electric chair, stabbed, and a gunshot wound. There's also a lot of puns and satire. It's a great read.
I felt that Angela Roquet created an incredibly unique world in this story. She didn't just put Reapers into the human world; she also gave them their world. There are so many details set into this world. I think that the thing I loved the most about this book is that it combined so many beliefs and gave them all a place in the afterlife. Whatever you believe, there's a place for you in the Afterlife that Angela Roquet dreamed up. Because of that, there's a crash course in a variety of different beliefs and mythologies.
I figured out how to highlight things on my Kindle Fire finally. I know, I'm a smart cookie. I'm so excited to be able to highlight quotes in books I love now. To celebrate, I'm going to try to share some of the ones from the book. Also, to the ones below each chapter starts off with a quote about life, death, or religion. It's neat.
About one of the Goddesses, "She obviously fancied herself a temptress, but nagging hussy would have been more accurate."
About the Egyptian gods being related/ married to each other, "Whatever floats your boat, I guess. As long as it doesn't sink mine."
"Humans may fear death, but they never pass up an opportunity to gawk at it."
These are just a few of the statements in the book I enjoyed. I think this is still free on Amazon, but please do not let that fool you. I know some free books can be questionable at best, but this is an excellent read. It's quick, it's light, it's funny, but it's fantastic. I'm probably going to get the second and read it here pretty soon. I like Grim Reaper stories lately.

                            Five out of Five Moons



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!