Monday, May 15, 2023

Book Review: Serpent & Dove Trilogy by Shelby Mahurin

 


Goodreads Summary: Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.

The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.

And love makes fools of us all.



Goodreads Summary: After narrowly escaping death at the hands of the Dames Blanches, Lou, Reid, Coco, and Ansel are on the run from coven, kingdom, and Church—fugitives with nowhere to hide.

To elude the scores of witches and throngs of chasseurs at their heels, Lou and Reid need allies. Strong ones. But protection comes at a price, and the group is forced to embark on separate quests to build their forces. As Lou and Reid try to close the widening rift between them, the dastardly Morgane baits them in a lethal game of cat and mouse that threatens to destroy something worth more than any coven.

Goodreads Summary: The spellbinding conclusion to the New York Times and IndieBound bestselling trilogy Serpent & Dove. This stunning fantasy take on French witches and forbidden love is perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas.
Evil always seeks a foothold. We must not give it one.

After a heartbreaking loss, Lou, Reid, Beau, and Coco are bent on vengeance more than ever before—and none more so than Lou.

But this is no longer the Lou they thought they knew. No longer the Lou that captured a chasseur's heart. A darkness has settled over her, and this time it will take more than love to drive it out.

Book Reviews:

Hello Readers! I hope everyone is doing well. I recently read the Serpent & Dove Trilogy by Shelby Mahurin. I was traveling for work when I finished them and didn't have my laptop, so I needed to wait until I could get home to review the books so you get a combined review for all three books. Honestly, I would have done this format anyway because I burned through it. Fortunately, this series is a trilogy, so I have it penciled in for reading prompts 21, 22, and 23, respectively. If anyone is from Indiana and needs something for the home state prompt, Shelby Mahurin is also from Indiana. You can find the entire 2023 reading challenge here.

I enjoyed the trilogy, but Serpent & Dove was my favorite. I stayed up until 5 am reading it and forced myself to sleep with around 50 pages left. I enjoyed getting to know Lou and Reid as they got to know each other through their forced circumstances. Plus, I really liked the dynamic between Reid and Lou and how they balanced each other. It was a comical relationship to read, but also sweet, and I liked the growth in their relationship. I felt like Reid tamed Lou and made her a little less selfish, and she showed him how to live and find purpose. 

Blood & Honey was a middle book for me. I enjoyed it, and a lot happened, but at the same time, it felt like nothing happened. I don't know if that makes sense, but it was a bridge to Gods & Monsters. With the entire trilogy, I didn't know where it was going. There wasn't anything that I found overly predictable, which was nice. 

I know that not everyone reads Prologues or Epilogues, which I never understood. I always read them. I highly recommend reading the epilogue for Gods & Monsters. It gives the trilogy the sweetest ending ever. I had to try hard not to tear up on the plane reading it. 

I recommend this series if you like Paranormal/fantasy/romance stories. The magic system was interesting, and I liked that everything had a balance. I'm definitely going to look into other books by Shelby Mahurin. This is a good option if you want a series with a true ending. I just checked Goodreads; a spinoff series will launch in September.




Life stuff, if anyone cares:

As I said, I went to Miami for the week for work. I like to play photographer occasionally, so here are some photos I took there. Before leaving, I also went to a Blink-182 concert, so enjoy some pictures.

Miami Airport


View from my hotel room.


Blink-182 concert, mainly I just think this is a fun concert shot (though, I do adore Blink <3)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!