Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Book Discussion: Classic Books, which ones have you read?

 Hello, Readers! I hope everyone is doing well and survived Monday. The husband left me unsupervised in Half-Priced Books over the weekend, so I ended up with all these pretty classics. 





I'll be honest: I mainly bought the collections because they were pretty. I am not a big classic reader, as I'm sure you know if you've read this blog before. However, I thought that having these on my shelf might prompt me to read them. The thought was their short; I own them, so why not read them? So far, I'm starting with Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne.

As I discussed these books with a friend, we started discussing the classics we've read. I have read more than I initially thought I did. However, I've also tried to read some and not finished them. Typically, I try to acquire a book from Project Gutenberg (which I typed as Project Glutenberg. This probably means I need to sleep, and I'm also very used to typing gluten.) For those unfamiliar with Project Gutenberg, it is a charity that aims to provide an online library of free books. The books provided have an expired U.S. copyright, so it is typically older volumes of work. The entire project is run by volunteers. You can learn more about the project here.

One of the features of Project Gutenberg is that as a user, you can see the most popular downloads. So last night (or Saturday, I can't remember), I downloaded the previous 30 days. There are definitely some classics that I've read that aren't on here, but I wanted to go through the list and see what I've read or at the very least attempted to read.

I'm curious to know which of these books you've read. Which ones did you like the most? What on here do you want to read? For me, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Pride and Prejudice were among my favorites on the list. I plan to work through several others, like the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.  

Do you find this post interesting, and would you like to see more of them? If so, please let me know in the comments! I always look forward to commentary (as long as it's not spam or phishing, I try to block those if I can.)

Top 100 eBooks on Project Gutenberg last 30 days -8/21/2022

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Read

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Read

History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom by Andrew Dickson White

Frankenstein; Or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Moby Dick; Or, The Whale by Herman Melville

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Persuasion by Jane Austen

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Ulysses by James Joyce

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The Count of Monte Cristo, Illustrated by Alexandre Dumas

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson

Grimms' Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Did Not Finish

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman- If I have to reread this, I will gouge my eyes out. Three times is enough, thank you very much.

The Romance of Lust: A classic Victorian erotic novel by Anonymous

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka- Read

The Iliad by Homer

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

Jane Eyre: An Autobiography by Charlotte Brontë

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Complete by Mark Twain- Read

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I did not finish

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain- Read

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein

The Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana by Vatsyayana

Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

The Importance of Being Earnest: A Trivial Comedy for Serious People by Oscar Wilde- I can't remember if I've read this. I have definitely seen the play, however.

Emma by Jane Austen

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie- Read

A Doll's House : a play by Henrik Ibsen

Walden, and On The Duty Of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne-Read

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

The Republic by Plato

Meditations by Emperor of Rome Marcus Aurelius

Beowulf: An Anglo-Saxon Epic Poem

Old Granny Fox by Thornton W. Burgess

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum- Read, and surprisingly dark for a children's story.

A Christmas Carol in Prose; Being a Ghost Story of Christmas by Charles Dickens

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The King James Version of the Bible

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Odyssey by Homer- I started to read but did not finish. I've always intended to read it all the way through, however.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens- I did not finish; I may try to get through it another time.

The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers

Thus Spake Zarathustra: A Book for All and None by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Dubliners by James Joyce

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Moby Multiple Language Lists of Common Words by Grady Ward

Japanese Girls and Women by Alice Mabel Bacon

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

A Pickle for the Knowing Ones by Timothy Dexter

The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. Du Bois

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving- I think I read this? Can't remember… It may be DNF.

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Art of War by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi

Essays of Michel de Montaigne — Complete by Michel de Montaigne

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

Josefine Mutzenbacher by Felix Salten

The Slang Dictionary: Etymological, Historical and Andecdotal by John Camden Hotten

金雲翹傳by Qingxincairen

Noli Me Tangere by José Rizal

Gulliver's Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World by Jonathan Swift

Antiquities of the Jews by Flavius Josephus

The Confessions of St. Augustine by Bishop of Hippo Saint Augustine

Second Treatise of Government by John Locke

Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

An Index of The Divine Comedy by Dante by Dante Alighieri

Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe — Volume 2 by Edgar Allan Poe

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll- Read

The Happy Prince, and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde

Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass

The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare- I've read some of his plays, if that counts.

Anthem by Ayn Rand

The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

 










2 comments:

  1. As of today I have read 21. That was an interesting challenge. Made me realize there are many classics I haven't read. Will have to try to increase the no. O have read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverley! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to find some similar lists to this. I really had to think about these.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!