Sunday, May 22, 2022

Book Review: Lore by Alexandra Bracken

 

Goodreads Summary: Every seven years, the Agon begins. As punishment for a past rebellion, nine Greek gods are forced to walk the earth as mortals, hunted by the descendants of ancient bloodlines, all eager to kill a god and seize their divine power and immortality. Long ago, Lore Perseous fled that brutal world in the wake of her family's sadistic murder by a rival line, turning her back on the hunt's promises of eternal glory. For years she's pushed away any thought of revenge against the man--now a god--responsible for their deaths.

Yet as the next hunt dawns over New York City, two participants seek out her help: Castor, a childhood friend of Lore believed long dead, and a gravely wounded Athena, among the last of the original gods.

The goddess offers an alliance against their mutual enemy and, at last, a way for Lore to leave the Agon behind forever. But Lore's decision to bind her fate to Athena's and rejoin the hunt will come at a deadly cost--and still may not be enough to stop the rise of a new god with the power to bring humanity to its knees.
Goodreads Rating: 3.81 stars with over 54,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Mythology, Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
Goodreads Challenge: 12/48
2022 Reading Challenge: #18 Read a book by an author named Alex, Alexander, Alexandra (or variant) (Find the entire challenge here)

Book Review: 

Hello, Readers! I hope everyone is doing well. I'm finally back to do a book review. I feel like 2022 has been non-stop, and I've definitely not been able to dedicate nearly as much time to reading or blogging as I'd like. Hopefully, all shenanigans are coming to a close, though. The husband and I have been fighting off Covid for the past week, so here's to hoping no more of that. He brought it home from work and decided to share the wealth. Luckily he's feeling much better. I've been having a more challenging time with it because I have a shitty immune system anyways, and well turns out that severe upper respiratory infections plus asthma is not a fun time. I was able to get a prescription for some meds and am back on an inhaler, so I'm starting to feel better. I'm mostly just exhausted. I'll attempt to do a recap of the year so far later this week or next weekend, but I'm not going to make any promises. 

I finished Lore a few days ago, but I was not really feeling like doing a blog post because of the nonsense with my health. There's a lot I can't really remember, so I'll just give a quick rundown of my thoughts, and then hopefully, with the following posts, I'll start getting back to the more detailed thoughts. 

Overall, I really liked Lore. It felt like The Percy Jackson books and The Hunger Games books had a book offspring, which was the result. I thought the premise was engaging with the various houses of heroes hunting multiple gods. I did think it was a little confusing to remember the houses and who was a god and who wasn't. 

I liked the relationship between Lore and Castor. I liked how she was kind of feral and just in survival mode and how he was a beacon of goodness for her. That, combined with being a friends-to-lovers trope, really resonated with me. There wasn't a love triangle or any unnecessary drama between them. There were some really sweet and romantic comments that I liked. There were also some moments from some of their friends who ended up in a relationship that was pretty great. (Trying to not give out spoilers.)

It was definitely not all romance. There's a lot of action, and it can get pretty gory in places. The mythology incorporated into the story was fun, and I like how Lore had to interact with the different Gods/Goddesses. At the center of the story is Lore, the crappy things she had to deal with growing up, and how she got past them to fulfill her destiny. I had planned to try and type out a little bit more about Lore, but my energy is waning. So, I'll leave it at if you like YA and are fans of Percy Jackson and Hunger Games; definitely give this a shot. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!