Monday, July 19, 2021

Book Review: An Offer From a Gentleman and Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn

 


Goodreads Summary: Will she accept his offer before the clock strikes midnight?
Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball—or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.

Who was that extraordinary woman? Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other—except, perhaps this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid's garb whom he feels compelled to rescue from a most disagreeable situation. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. Yet, if he offers his heart, will Benedict sacrifice his only chance for a fairy tale love?

Goodreads Ratings: 3.96 stars with over 100,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Romance, Historical Fiction
Goodreads Challenge: 27/50
2021 Reading Challenge: #31 Read a book that takes place in Europe (Find the entire challenge here)

Previous Reviews on the series: The Duke and I The Viscount Who Loved Me


Book Review:

Well, I appear to be in one of my infamous series binges. For those of you who are new to the blog, just about every year, I find a series with several books in it, and it completely derails the entire challenge for me. I've entirely burned through books one through three of the Bridgerton series and started book four at four-thirty am. I can't stop reading these damn books. I blame Kayla since she got me into the show on Netflix and then bought me the first omnibus of books. I'm guessing she'll just shrug at me, blaming her. 

I really enjoyed how Julia Quinn worked a Cinderella retelling into An Offer From a Gentleman. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I think she made it work really well. I was instantly interested in Sophie and was rooting for her to get out of her predicament. There was definitely a sense of poetic justice. Also, Violet is a FORCE to be reckoned with, and I love it. I may have to dive into the prequels and see if it tells her story before kids.

I really liked Benedict in An Offer From a Gentleman. He wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he was less damaged and not as big of an ass than his brother Anthony.  The whole you can be my mistress thing was pretty awful, though. I feel like he eventually redeemed himself. 

I feel like the common thread of drama with this series is lack of communication. They could have just gotten into acting out all of Benedict's inner fantasies a lot sooner if Sophie had just said "Oh hey, remember me from the mascarde?" 

I will say that the second epilogue left a lot to be desired for Benedict and Sophie. It ended up being largely surrounding Sophie's stepsister Posy and her whether she finds a husband. It was enjoyable, but I definitely wanted more of Benedict and Sophie's story.

I was going to write more on An Offer From a Gentleman, however I burned through Romancing Mister Bridgerton before this review was complete, and now they are all blending together in my head. It probably doesn't help that I am also rewatching Bridgerton as I write. What can I say, I'm obsessed.



Goodreads Summary: Everyone knows that Colin Bridgerton is the most charming man in London. Penelope Featherington has secretly adored her best friend's brother for...well, it feels like forever. After half a lifetime of watching Colin Bridgerton from afar, she thinks she knows everything about him, until she stumbles across his deepest secret...and fears she doesn't know him at all.

Colin Bridgerton is tired of being thought nothing but an empty-headed charmer, tired of everyone's preoccupation with the notorious gossip columnist Lady Whistledown, who can't seem to publish an edition without mentioning him in the first paragraph. But when Colin returns to London from a trip abroad he discovers nothing in his life is quite the same - especially Penelope Featherington! The girl haunting his dreams. But when he discovers that Penelope has secrets of her own, this elusive bachelor must decide...is she his biggest threat - or his promise of a happy ending?
Goodreads Rating: 4.05 stars with over 103,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Historical Fiction, Romance
Goodreads Challenge: 28/50
2021 Reading Challenge: # 12 Free Space! Pick any Book (Find the full challenge (here)

Book Review:

I adore Colin and Penelope. They are by far my favorite couple in the Bridgerton series. I read this entire book with a smile on my face. I am a sucker for relationships that start out as friendships. I was eagerly awaiting to get to their story as they were two of my favorite characters in the show. There's so much in this book that it's probably my favorite in the series. I feel like they both grew up so much in this book. Penelope grew out of being a wallflower and found her voice. Which is witty and fierce when she needs to be and otherwise incredibly kind. Colin grew out of his wanderlust. And him figuring out he was in love with Penelope was utterly adorable.

In the Romancing Mister Bridgerton, we get to see not only who Lady Whistledown is, but how she came to be. Lots of drama ensued, of course. Some karma was definitely on the table for deserts as well. I loved the reveal, however. It was fantastic.

I'm not sure if I'm going to continue on with the series. I have access to the next two books in the series, however, I don't have a lot of investment in the remaining Bridgertons. What I've read of Eloise's story doesn't sound that interesting to me. Francesca has mostly been forgotten through the entire series, as has Gregory. The only other one I'd have any real interest in is Hyacinth. Plus, I should probably try and read other things. My birthday is next week, and I have plans to read another Wheel of Time book for it. 

Overall, what I've read of the Bridgerton series I've really enjoyed. I found them to be surprisingly witty and fun. I'm fairly obsessed, and I wonder if I would have had the same reaction to reading them if I hadn't watched the Netflix show. I definitely recommend for Historical Romance fans.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!