Saturday, May 22, 2021

Book Review: Haunting Charlie by Wendy Wang

 


Goodreads Summary: 
Ignoring the dead can get you killed...

All Charlie Payne wants is to lead a normal life and to be a good mom. But Charlie’s not exactly normal. She's from a long line of witches, and she can see the dead.

Susan Tate has inherited a beautiful old southern mansion on the coast. Unfortunately, the property came with a million necessary repairs. And ghosts.

When Charlie meets Susan, the woman is desperate for help. Taking on a spirit who doesn’t want to see the light can be dangerous but ignoring it? Ignoring the dead can get you killed.

Haunting Charlie is the first in a spine-tingling new Supernatural Suspense that will have you clinging to the edge of your seat. If you like Darcy Coates, Shani Struthers, or JL Bryan, then you will love the Witches of Palmetto Point Series by Wendy Wang!
Goodreads Rating: 4.13 stars with over 6,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Paranormal, Fantasy, Horror, Ghosts, Fiction, Witches, Urban, Supernatural, Mystery
Goodreads Challenge: 17/50
2021 Reading Challenge: #25 Read a book by a Self Published Author (find the full challenge here)

Book Review:

Happy Weekend, readers!  I hope everyone is doing well. I picked up Haunting Charlie by Wendy Wang on Kindle Unlimited. I wasn't really sure where I would put this on the challenge, but it sounded interesting and had me curious. It worked out that it's self-published. 

The first scene really drew me into Charlie's story. It takes place with her working in a call center. I actually took a screenshot of the first page and sent it to Tress because it was so dead-on, and we had a good laugh about it. If Wendy didn't have call center experience, she really did her research. 

Because the book is so short, it got into the paranormal pretty quickly. I was impressed because it still gave quite a bit of backstory into Charlie's life. She was really relatable, and I felt sorry for her with everything going on with her jerk of an ex-husband, Scott. Her affinity for ghosts was interesting, and it reminded me of the show Dead Files. There was definitely a lot of thought about how Charlie would interact with the spirits and what the ghosts could do. 

Charlie ends up using her ability to try and help solve a series of girls going missing from their town. The story behind what's happening to them goes back to the 1800s and continues today. When I do the genre listing, I just copy what's on Goodreads, which I think is just people's bookshelves, so it may not always be accurate. This one got considered a mystery, but I didn't really feel like there were any surprises to it. It made it pretty clear who was at fault for the girls going missing and why. It was creepy, but I don't really think it had a lot of mystery to it. 

So this next piece, I generally don't care about, but I know it will bother a few people. There are a handful of places where there are commas in the middle of words. Stuff like this use to really put me off on some books, but now the closer I get to publishing my own book, I realize it's just part of the process, and it happens. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Haunting Charlie. I'll probably read a bit more of the series since it's on Kindle Unlimited, but I'm trying to be good and not get completely sucked into my typical binge of series for now. This book was a quick and interesting read, and I'd recommend it if you're looking for a mix of paranormal meets True Crime.



1 comment:

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!