Friday, May 15, 2020

Discussion Post: Podcasts


Happy Friday, Readers! I've been wanting to do this post for a while, but keep forgetting about it. I thought since I actually remembered, I should probably actually get it done. Like most things in life, I am woefully behind on the trends and really just started getting into podcasts in the past two years. I thought I'd switch things up from books for a bit and talk about the podcasts I typically listen to and where I listen to them at.

I typically listen to podcasts while I'm working. Since I've been working from home, I haven't been as good at keeping up with them. I also start from the oldest and work my way up; that way, I can be clued in on any inside jokes or info that might be discussed. Typically, I either listen to podcasts on Google Play or Stitcher, depending on what it is.

There is a distinct trend in what I listen to. It is either about murder or writing. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person. The following info is in no particular order. I've also put a link to the website, if possible. I don't get anything out of it, I just want to share these podcasts.

Podcasts: 

  1. Small Town Murder- Hosted by James Pietragallo and Jimmie Whisman, who are both stand-up comics. Each episode they take you on a trip to some small town. They discuss the town and then tell you a murder story. There is swearing, and a lot of rants abound. Truthfully, murder shouldn't be this funny. I really have to watch when I listen to this because I will legitimately crack up laughing while listening to these guys. Bonus, They also have another podcast called Crime in Sports. I haven't listened to this one as much as Small Town Murder, but I'm sure it's great. You can check them out at their website, https://shutupandgivememurder.com.
  2. True Crime Garage- Hosted by Nic and The Captain, who are both based out of Ohio. They take a really deep dive into what the case is about, and usually, the episodes are done in two parts. Not only do they tell the story, but they give their thoughts on the case. Each episode also has a new beer that they are trying in the Garage. Not as hilarious as Small Town Murder, but still pretty comical at times. I listened to this a lot before moving to Minnesota when I had an hour to an hour and a half commute. You can check them out at their website, https://www.truecrimegarage.com.
  3. Crime Junkie-  Hosted by lifelong best friends Ashley and Brit. These ladies are what started me into my Podcast listening. They are based out of Indianapolis, where I am originally from. Ashley does a lot of work for Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana and, once upon a time, was doing a True Crime story each week on one of the local radio stations. Murder Monday was the best!  Anyways, she and Brit started their own podcast. Because Ashley is on the board of directors for Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana, a lot of the stories they cover are unsolved. Find them here at their website, https://crimejunkiepodcast.com/.
  4.  Today in True Crime- This is put on by the Parcast network. This one appeals to the history nerd in me. There is a new episode each day, and they are only about 15 to 20 minutes long. What I really like is that it's not always about a murder. There are other crimes mixed in. It's perfect for binging at work, honestly, and I feel like I'm learning something. You can find out more info on the website, https://www.parcast.com/today-in-true-crime.
  5. Stuff You Missed in History Class- This is hosted by Holly and Tracy. I think It's switched networks a couple of times, so I'm not sure what the correct website for them is. Anyways, as a history nerd, this appeals to me. It covers a little bit of everything, and the hosts are likable.
  6. Writing Excuses- The host list for this includes authors Maurice Broaddus, Aliette de Bodard, Amal El-Mohtar, Valynne E. Maetani, Mary Robinette Kowal, Brandon Sanderson, Howard Tayler, and Dan Wells. This podcast features all of these writings (a lot of the writers vary from season to season), giving writing tips to other writers. I like it because it is short and to the point. Plus, I feel like I get better at writing by listening to it and practicing some of what they discuss. You can find out more info on their website, https://writingexcuses.com/.
  7. Self Publishing with Dale- This is the most recent podcast I've added to the list of things I've started listening too. I just started this one earlier in the week. So far, it seems like it has a lot of good advice not only from the host, Dale but also other self-published authors that he interviews. I'm hoping this helps me with my own self-publishing efforts because I have no clue what I'm doing. You can find out more info on his website, https://selfpublishingwithdale.com/.

So these are the main podcasts I try to listen to. What kind of podcasts do you listen to? Feel free to comment with your own suggestions!




6 comments:

  1. Most of my subscriptions are about reading - specifically, a bunch about A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones (History of Westeros, Radio Westeros, NotaPodcastASOIAF, Girls Gone Canon, Game of Owns) and a couple of Wheel of Time reread podcasts (The Wheel Weaves and WoT Spoilers). I also listen to The Legendarium Podcast when they're talking about a series I've read, and the WoT Spoilers guys have another podcast about Brandon Sanderson's cosmere (currently called Mistborn Spoilers). When I switched phones i lost all my subscriptions and haven't added back Writing Excuses yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for one am shocked, shocked I say, that you listen to WOT podcasts.

      The same thing happened to me with writing excuses. I haven't added Stitcher back because I'm pretty sure my $40 prepaid will just cry and tell me it has no memory. I really need to go buy a new galaxy.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I am definitely downloading Self Publishing with Dale.
    I listen to Doughboys with Mike Mitchell and Nick Wiger...it's a really fun and funny food review podcast my husband showed me. We listen and work from home together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give Self Publishing with Dale a shot. He does a lot of interviews with people in the industry as well as short instructional videos. He primarily deals with non-fiction stuff, but his wife is also an author and does fiction work. It's kind of nice to see what works from both sides.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check out Doughboys. I haven't listened to any food related Podcasts yet, but I like to laugh so that seems like a plus.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!