Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Book Review: The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan


Goodreads Summary: The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages.
And it is stolen.
Goodreads Ratings: 4.23 stars with over 200,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Fantasy, Fiction, Epic Fantasy, High Fantasy
Previous Reviews on the Series: The Eye of the World
Goodreads Challenge: 2/60
2020 Reading Challenge: #18 A book you got for free (Gift, found, book exchange) Find the full challenge here

Review:

Hello Readers! I finally finished The Great Hunt. My good friend and Reading Challenge Co-Creator, Tress, has been after me to read Wheel of Time for years. After finishing Eye of The World I had to jump right into The Great Hunt, which was a gift from Tress (hence the #18 placement). During my read of The Eye of the World, Tress documented my thoughts on Twitter. She did the same for The Great Hunt, but it's now in a more convenient Thread format. Find my WOT Shennanigans here.

I really enjoyed The Great Hunt. It picks up shortly after The Eye of the World. It was kind of nice going into  The Great Hunt because I already had a connection with the characters. I think that so far, Nynaeve and Loial are my favorites. Nynaeve is just a badass and I relate to Loial's introverted nerdiness. I enjoyed that we got to see a little bit more of the character's special talents. Obviously, Rand's skills came to light, but Perrin got to explore his wolf connection a bit more. Nynaeve and Egwene got to channel more. Mat... got to be Mat.

I think one of the things I'm liking the most about The Wheel of Time series so far is that it doesn't feel like you're reading 600-700 pages. I mean obviously, it takes a while to read because of the length, but it doesn't feel bogged down with unnecessary details. It's not a difficult read and moves quickly. Each chapter feels like it has a purpose. I also don't feel like you have to be some super Fantasy Nerd to enjoy it. That was kind of my concern before picking the series up, but everything's explained pretty well. It also has a glossary section in the back that kind of help explain more if it's needed.

I was a little surprised at how the sounding of the Horn came to be or rather, who sounded it. The way it came about felt right for the character though, and just kind of a "Let's see what happens" sort of thing. I feel like Moiraine had a hand in a lot of what happened, but it hasn't exactly been explained what. I'm basing this off of conversations she had with the Amrylin Seat.

This could lead to spoilers, but I wanted to put my theories out there. Tress has them documented on twitter as well. Let's see how close I am.
1.) I think that Liandrin (or Laundromat if you're following my autocorrect messages on Twitter) is really a Black Ajah. There's a quote in The Great Hunt that has her talking about "Our Master" that sort of solidified this for me. I feel like even as self-righteous as the Red Ajah are they wouldn't trade a Novice or an accepted into slavery.
2.) Selene is a space case and probably the Forgotten named Lanfear. I think the last scene in The Great Hunt more or less confirmed it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I'll eventually get around to reading more of the books, but I'm going to try to read some other books first. If you are like me and can't handle super long books, give it a try. It's not as daunting as it seems.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!