Saturday, March 10, 2018

Book Review of The Maid's Secret by Emily Organ

Goodreads Summary: London 1884. Victorian industrialist Alexander Glenville is a man with many secrets. Fleet Street reporter Penny Green is tasked with working undercover as a maid in his home, but tragedy strikes when Glenville’s daughter is poisoned.
Penny’s insider knowledge is crucial for Scotland Yard’s murder investigation, but someone in the Glenville household already suspects that she’s more than just a servant. Can Penny and Inspector James Blakely solve the mystery before Penny’s cover is blown?

For fans of classic murder mysteries! The books in the Penny Green Series can be read in any order.

Goodreads Rating: 4.13 stars with over 164 ratings.

Genre Listing: Historical Fiction, Mystery

Get the Book: Amazon

Goodreads Challenge: 6/30

2018 Reading Challenge: #29 A book with a purple cover. Find the 2018 reading challenge here.

Other reviews on the series: Limelight (Penny Green #1)Rookery (Penny Green #2)

Book Review:

I think it's safe to say that I'm addicted to the Penny Green Series, but now I'm at the point where I'm eagerly waiting for the next book. I had a hard time putting The Maid's Secret down. I really didn't have any idea who was going to be the murderer in this one. I've mentioned it before in the other reviews, but I love how Emily Organ gives readers several suspects to contemplate. The Maid's Secret didn't disappoint in this area. 

The Maid's Secret reminded me of the movie Clue with Tim Curry. I don't have a rhyme or reason for it, but it made me think of the movie quite often. This may have made me slightly more fond of the book. 

I really liked the development between Penny and James in this one. I'm excited to see the latest adventure Penny gets herself involved with, as well as where these latest developments lead. Especially since Penny is gaining another suitor.

I've really enjoyed that there's a mystery within a mystery in this series. I like how each book has a different mystery, but within each one there's a continuation of trying to find out what happened to Penny's father on his adventures.

I think that I've recommended this series to so many people that I've lost track. The entire series is really well written and a lot of fun to read. I can't wait to read the fourth installment. There's also a couple of short stories that Emily Organ has put out revolving around Penny Green.





I apologize that this review is so short. I do enjoy the series, but I actually finished this book a week or so ago. I've been working on getting my Etsy shop up and running, so this post, unfortunately, kept getting pushed back.  If you'd like to take a look at my handmade jewelry you can check it out here. It's not book related, but it is pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!