Saturday, October 22, 2016

Book Review of Sanctum by Madeleine Roux

Goodreads Summary: In this haunting, fast-paced sequel to the New York Times bestselling photo-illustrated novel Asylum, three teens must unlock some long-buried secrets from the past before the past comes back to get them first. Featuring found photographs, many from real vintage carnivals, Sanctum is a mind-bending reading experience that blurs the lines between past and present, genius and insanity, perfect for fans of the smash hit Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
Dan, Abby, and Jordan remain traumatized by the summer they shared in the Brookline asylum. Much as they'd love to move on, someone is determined to keep the terror alive, sending the teens photos of an old-timey carnival, with no note and no name. Forsaking their plan never to go back, the teens return to New Hampshire College under the guise of a weekend for prospective students, and there they realize that the carnival from the photos is not only real, it's here on campus, apparently for the first time in many years.

Sneaking away from sample classes and college parties, Dan and his friends lead a tour of their own—one through the abandoned houses and hidden places of the surrounding town. Camford is hiding a terrible past, and the influence of the asylum runs deeper than Dan ever imagined.

Goodreads Rating: 3.87 stars with over 6,900 ratings
Genre Listing: Horror, Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Mystery
Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository
Previous review on the series: Asylum

Book Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

Well, I feel like I called it in my review of Asylum. I wasn't impressed with Asylum and said the only way I'd read Sanctum is if some time had passed and I was randomly thinking about it. Sure enough, I randomly started thinking about it and in my thoughts I enjoyed Asylum more than I did. Sanctum had me interested at first, and then it started to fall short as the story continued.

At first, the story had me intrigued. I was interested in the mystery sounding the carnival and the ghosts that Dan was seeing. I thought it was going to get spooky, but again I was disappointed with the lack of eeriness. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but when a story is about a kid's mysterious connection to an old insane asylum, I want it to be so scary that I have all the lights in my room on and have to sleep with the tv on to get it out of my head. I wouldn't even say this gets close to giving me the creeps. Add weird visions of ghost children and I should be can't sleep for days scared, but alas I was just disappointed even more and wished that I had taken the time to read something else. What's worse is I used half of an Amazon gift card on this book.

The characters fell flat for me in this one. I don't recall being all about them in Asylum, but there was just no personality in any of the characters. I didn't feel like any character had a redeeming quality. Dan, Abby, and Jordan were all incredibly boring, and Micha, Lara, and Cal were so stereotypical that it was enough to make me roll my eyes.

I feel like plot wise this had so much potential but fell short and ended up being disappointing. I can't say for sure where it lost my attention, but it was somewhere after the trio visited Lucy. It was getting interesting and then just got odd and took a turn for the worst. Amazingly, I stuck with it. I can only assume it's so that I meet my Goodreads 2016 reading goal. I was hoping this would have been a good pre-Halloween read.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!