Sunday, December 7, 2014

Book Review of Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Goodreads summary: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children was the surprise best seller of 2011—an unprecedented mix of YA fantasy and vintage photography that enthralled readers and critics alike.

This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine's island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along Review of Hollow City by Ransom Riggs the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.

Complete with dozens of newly discovered (and thoroughly mesmerizing) vintage photographs, this new adventure will delight readers of all ages.

Goodreads rating: 4.03 with over 30,000 ratings.

Genre listings: Fantasy, Young Adult, Horror, Paranormal, Mystery, Historical Fiction, Supernatural, Time travel, Adventure

Get the Book: AmazonBook Depository
My other reviews of Ransom Riggs' books: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Review:

Edited 12/1/2016

This series is easily becoming a favorite of mine. I didn't get much of a chance to read this throughout the week, but I got through it pretty quickly over the weekend. I can't get over how imaginative it is or the compiled pictures. The photos add a unique touch to an already unique story. I love how odd it all is.

Something I enjoyed about this second book is that it was all in a time loop. It added a great deal of historical context to the adventure. It also became a lot more about what Jacob could do and not just about stories from his grandfather. There was lots of character development that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I think that one of my favorite parts of these stories is that it's not just about Jacob or his relationship with Emma. I feel like a lot of books recently just focus on the relationship aspect of a story. This (and the first book in the series) have been so much more than that. There's an original adventure, mystery, and characters a reader can care about. I love that each of Jacob's friends gets time to shine and help the crusade.

Overall I feel that this is an incredibly imaginative and well-rounded story. It's got a lot of things I love about it, and very few things that I dislike about it. It's a shame that the 3rd book won't be coming out until 2015 sometime. There is apparently a graphic novel, though. I'm not really into graphic novels, but I feel like I need to check this one out. Also, I've just learned via Ransom Rigg's website that Tim Burton is directing a movie of Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children. I can not even start to describe how incredibly stoked I am for this. Time Burton is my absolute favorite director, and I think his creepy ways are going to do this book a lot of justice. I've already relayed to my husband that we WILL be going to see it on opening day, no matter what. It's happening. I can't wait. I've been doing a dorky little happy dance since I found out.

Five out of five moons.



2 comments:

  1. Great review! My favorite character is Ben, he makes the book a little less serious.
    Please check out my review here....
    http://liveloveandlou.blogspot.com/2015/01/2015-reads-hollow-city-ransom-riggs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I enjoyed your review as well. I'm not sure if I can pick a favorite character. There's something about all of them that I really like. :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!