Monday, November 1, 2021

Book Review: Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris

 


Goodreads Summary; 2 CHILDREN FOR SALE
The scrawled sign, peddling young siblings on a farmhouse porch, captures the desperation sweeping the country in 1931. It's an era of breadlines, bank runs, and impossible choices.

For struggling reporter Ellis Reed, the gut-wrenching scene evokes memories of his family's dark past. He snaps a photograph of the children, not meant for publication. But when the image leads to his big break, the consequences are devastating in ways he never imagined.

Haunted by secrets of her own, secretary Lillian Palmer sees more in the picture than a good story and is soon drawn into the fray. Together, the two set out to right a wrongdoing and mend a fractured family, at the risk of everything they value.

Inspired by an actual newspaper photo that stunned readers across the nation, this touching novel explores the tale within the frame and behind the lens—a journey of ambition, love, and the far-reaching effects of our actions.
Goodreads Rating: 3.88 stars with 55,000 ratings
Genre Listing: Historical Fiction, Book Club, Romance, Mystery
Goodreads Challenge: 39/50
2021 Reading Challenge: #55 Read a book (fiction or Nonfiction) about a topic that's always interested you, but you haven't read about it yet (Find the entire challenge here


Book Review:

Happy Halloween, Readers! I hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday.  I apologize in advance. I'm going to phone this review in a bit. I finished the book a couple days ago, but have not been feeling well since Thursday. I kind of feel like if I don't put a review out tonight, I won't because I'll lose my thoughts on what I read. Mostly, right now, I just want to go to bed.

I put Sold on a Monday by Kristin McMorris at #55 for the challenge because, to the best of my knowledge, I have never read a fiction story about the Great Depression. Obviously, I learned about it in school, but I feel like that doesn't count. I've always been curious about the Great Depression. My maternal grandparents were born during the Great Depression, and my Grandpa would always tell me about growing up back then. I've always been really grateful that he passed on that information to me. I feel it gave me a greater appreciation for the world we live in now. So when I saw Sold on a Monday, I knew I had to read it. 

I thought the story was interesting. I knew that the book was inspired by an actual picture where children of the era were being sold. I felt like it evolved beyond the photo and was a story about taking responsibility and the consequences of one's actions. There were a variety of things that happened because of the decisions the two main characters made. The main focus was what those decisions spiraled into and how the characters had to deal with the repercussion.

I don't really feel like the characters themselves were that noteworthy. They more felt like placeholders and really lacked a lot of personalities. The chapters rotated between Ellis and Lillian, but it wasn't obvious who's point of view was presented most of the time. The same goes for the romance in the story. It seemed like it was just there to fill more pages. The main reason the kids were sold felt like a plot on Law and Order SVU.

Overall, I liked the premise but am indifferent to the characters. It was a quick read that entertained me for a couple of days, so I can't really complain too much. I'd put this firmly in the "it was ok" bucket.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!