Saturday, May 8, 2021

Book Review: Circe by Madeline Miller

 


Goodreads Summary: 
In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe has neither the look nor the voice of divinity and is scorned and rejected by her kin. Increasingly isolated, she turns to mortals for companionship, leading her to discover a power forbidden to the gods: witchcraft. When love drives Circe to cast a dark spell, wrathful Zeus banishes her to the remote island of Aiaia. There she learns to harness her occult craft, drawing strength from nature. But she will not always be alone; many are destined to pass through Circe's place of exile, entwining their fates with hers. The messenger god, Hermes. The craftsman, Daedalus. A ship bearing a golden fleece. And wily Odysseus, on his epic voyage home.

There is danger for a solitary woman in this world, and Circe's independence draws the wrath of men and gods alike. To protect what she holds dear, Circe must decide whether she belongs with the deities she is born from or the mortals she has come to love.

Goodreads Rating: 4.26 stars with over 441,000 ratings

Genre Listing: Fantasy, Fiction, Mythology, Historical Fiction, Retellings, Greek Mythology

Goodreads Challenge: 13/50

2021 Reading Challenge: #38 Read a book with an orange cover (Find the full challenge here)


Book Review: 

I have not slept much since I started this book. So now that I'm done with it, I'm both sad and relieved. I enjoy reading about Greek Mythology but am not by any means fluent in the stories of a lot of the lesser deities. Circe by Madeline Miller takes readers through the long life of minor goddess and witch, Circe, and all of the heroes and Gods she encountered during that time.

I don't know that I've ever read a book from the perspective of a goddess, and Circe wasn't one I was familiar with. I was instantly drawn into the world Madeline Miller retold. I felt sorry for Circe because she was mistreated by the other characters. For the majority of the book, when anyone was nice to her, it was because they thought they could get something out of her. 

I haven't read any of Homer's work, so I don't know how prevalent Circe is in them. However, reading Madeline Miller's take on the myths was interesting, and I liked seeing how connected to more well-known figures she made Circe. I really liked how she started as this meek character trying to disappear to really finding her power while in exile. I do think a lot of her energy was driven by her fear, but it was in a lot of ways understandable. She feared Athena's coming after her son. 

Just for reference, some of the mythology characters encountered or mentioned are (based off of Madeline Miller's website):
  • Boreas
  • Calypso
  • Helios
  • Oceanos
  • Pasiphae
  • Perse
  • Prometheus
  • Apollo
  • Artemis
  • Athena
  • Hermes
  • Zeus
  • Daedalus
  • Glaugos
  • Icarus
  • Medea
  • Jason
  • Odysseus
  • Penelope
  • Telemachus
  • Telegonus
The way that the story was told was really easy to read. Even though it spans at least a century, it flows nicely, and I never felt bored with it. It was definitely one of those books where I was bargaining with myself on how many chapters I could read before I had to go to bed. A lot of nights, I ended up reading well past when I told myself I would stop. This is partly because the chapters are longer, and I'm a person who refuses to stop mid-chapter for the night. Needless to say, I really enjoyed it, and it made me want to read more mythology books (not that it takes much.) It's not a subject I read up on very often, but one I always enjoy when I do. I highly recommend it to anyone who is into mythology. The great thing about Circe by Madeline Miller is how she explains the story readers don't have to have prior knowledge of the deities, heroes, or monsters to read this. It helps keep them all straight, but not necessary. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!