Saturday, September 12, 2020

Book Review: The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

 


Goodreads Summary: Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin. And a cold-blooded killer. His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world. But not everything monstrous-looking is evil, and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale, there is a grain of truth.
THE LAST WISH
The International hit that inspired the video game THE WITCHER.

Goodreads Ratings:4.14 stars with over 180,000 

Genre Listing: Fantasy, Fiction, Short Stories, High Fantasy, Magic, Polish Literature

Goodreads Challenge: 35/60 (I'm really behind)

2020 Reading Challenge: #8 A book of short stories or a novella (find the full challenge here)


Book Review:

Hello readers! It's been a while since my last post. Between work and school, I haven't had much time to read or think of a non-review type of post. I hope everyone is doing well. The husband and I actually went and did something outside of the apartment that wasn't grocery shopping for the first time in months. We went to a drive-in theater and saw The New Mutants. I was really excited to learn that Drive-ins still existed. I hadn't been to one since I was a kid, and the husband had never been to one. I'm hoping these make a comeback. Movie on a projector screen outside with someone not kicking my seat or talking to me? Sign me up. 

Anyways, let's talk about The Last Witch by Andrzej Sapkowski. The always lovely Tress sent me her copy of The Last Witch, which is about The Witcher. This is all a bunch of short stories following Geralt's adventures. I've been holding off on watching the Netflix Series until I read the book. 

I have mixed feelings on The Last Wish, and I fully admit it could be a "me" problem. At first, I was really into the book, I liked the stories, and was having fun trying to figure out what fairy tales they were about. However, about halfway through the book, I started to lose interest, and it was kind of hard for me to want to pick it up. It's entirely possible that the lack of enjoyment was because I was distracted and tired, but I found myself just reading to finish it. 

Truthfully, this is going to be one of those times where I don't have a lot to say about the book that I read. I wanted more connection between the stories. It was a bit of a roller coaster for me. I'd get really into some of them, and then lose interest, then get into some of them, then lose interest. The ones that probably grabbed my attention the most were early on in the book with the vampire girl and then the story with the monster in seclusion where the daughters were brought. 

Even though I wasn't super into the book, I would like to read more witcher stories. The ones that I liked, I really enjoyed. I'll probably give the next book in the series a chance when my head is more into reading. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!